Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos app can't play video

i have an iPhone 7+ running iOS 11 and a 2015 MacBook Pro running High Sierra. I imported some videos (HEVC format) from my iPhone to my mac and it says that "Photos cannot play this video because it uses an unsupported format. " any ideas?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Oct 4, 2017 9:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2017 5:11 AM

I'm seeing the same on my MacBook Pro mid 2015. Did you take the photos in HEVC format on the iPhone?

Phots for Mac can only HEVC videos up to the 4k pixel size, not 5k, at least, if your Mac is a mid 2015 model or older. Is your MacBook Pro from mid 2015? Then only the smaller HEVC videos will play in Photos, while QuickTime Player can play them.

Mac models from mid 2015 or earlier work with HEVC video that was captured at no greater than 1080p/240 fps.

This page explains how to share HEIF photos and HEVC videos in a more compatible format:

Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2017 5:11 AM in response to foon239

I'm seeing the same on my MacBook Pro mid 2015. Did you take the photos in HEVC format on the iPhone?

Phots for Mac can only HEVC videos up to the 4k pixel size, not 5k, at least, if your Mac is a mid 2015 model or older. Is your MacBook Pro from mid 2015? Then only the smaller HEVC videos will play in Photos, while QuickTime Player can play them.

Mac models from mid 2015 or earlier work with HEVC video that was captured at no greater than 1080p/240 fps.

This page explains how to share HEIF photos and HEVC videos in a more compatible format:

Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Photos app can't play video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.