Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Media connection failed

I have an iPhone 8 plus running on iOS 11.0.2 and when I connect it to my car via usb to play music it says failed media connection. It charges my phone but doesn’t play music. I’ve tried 2 different cords both Apple & it won’t work.

Posted on Oct 5, 2017 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2017 12:33 AM

I have the same problem since I update my iOS to 11.0.3. Before the update, the connection with car media never have a fail, and it required restarting device with the new IOS.

I checked all other functions and nothing goes wrong other than that.

I have also followed the procedure you recommended, but it only work if I restart my iPhone with the car media on, once the car is off and restarted, the connection failed again.

I believe Apple need to do something with the new iOS.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2017 12:33 AM in response to Teddy_B

I have the same problem since I update my iOS to 11.0.3. Before the update, the connection with car media never have a fail, and it required restarting device with the new IOS.

I checked all other functions and nothing goes wrong other than that.

I have also followed the procedure you recommended, but it only work if I restart my iPhone with the car media on, once the car is off and restarted, the connection failed again.

I believe Apple need to do something with the new iOS.

Oct 6, 2017 6:36 AM in response to Cgranum

Hello Cgranum,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

I see that you are having an issue with your iPhone 8 Plus connecting to your car stereo. It says "failed media connection." It's important to make sure that you can use your iPhone with your car stereo, so I'll be happy to provide some support.

I suggest trying the steps in this support article: Get help connecting your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with your car stereo .

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers.

Oct 6, 2017 6:42 AM in response to Cgranum

my car does that occasionally too. most of the time the best fix is to simply restart your iPhone.

i have however found that if i do not have time or just do not want to restart the phone my quick workaround do the following...

• start a song playing in the Music app then plug into the USB port.
  • if that didn't work, then sometimes i have to leave it plugged in and start playing a song again, then switch back to the AUX input on the car.

usually this gets me up and running quickly! kinda like push starting an old manual transmission car 😎

Nov 1, 2017 12:24 PM in response to Cgranum

I've had this same problem since updating to ios11. Prior to the update I never had a problem connecting my phone to my car via USB cord, but now every time I plug it in I get "media connection failed." The only way I can get it to work is restarting my phone and plugging in immediately Sometimes that doesn't work and I'll have to restart 2-3 times before I'll get it connected to play music. I drive a lot and it is very annoying to not be able to play my music easily. (my car has bluetooth connectivity to play music but the quality is terrible so connecting by cord is better).

Please get this fixed Apple! I was hoping with the 11.1 upgrade last night it would be fixed but it wasn't 😟

Nov 22, 2017 6:07 PM in response to Ghutoz

Ive been having some success with plugging my phone in *immediatley* after starting my car. Like literally holding my phone in one hand with the cord ready to plug and turning the key with the other. I suspect this issue is some kind of Bluetooth conflict with the car so you need to get it plugged in before the Bluetooth tries to connect with your phone. I’ve tried turning off my phones Bluetooth and whatnot but I think the second your car tries to connect it creates the issue. So try this and see if it’ll work. Since it seems like Apple could care less about fixing this issue.

Media connection failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.