Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac osx high sierra

dear people,

last week i cleaned my macbook pro 13 inch late 2011. i wanted to do a fresh install in recovery mode but it is saying that the product is not available (mac os sierra). Then i wanted to make a bootable usb but i constantly get the problem 'the selected item does not appear to be a valid macOS installer'

It is lacking the file "Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg"

i've tried in terminal to make an bootable usb but nothing works.

i use install disk creator after the terminal way doesn't work.

i am using my other mac to make an bootable usb. (macbook pro 15 inch mid 2010)

can somebody help me because i need my macbook.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 5, 2017 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 8:01 AM

There are simple rules you should follow.

(pls, check step 2.1 for your case)

1) Download the MacOS High Sierra installation from iTunes.

2) Check installer support content at first. It should be contained in '/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport' folder. If the 'SharedSupport' directory does not exist, go to step 2.1, otherwise - go to step 3.

2.1) There is no 'SharedSupport' directory.

2.1.1) Run the MacOS High Sierra installation application and let it download things and exit the application before restarting.

2.1.2) The operating system is installed in '/macOS Install Data', copy the contents of the directory to '/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport'. If the 'SharedSupport' directory does not exist, create it in '/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents'.

3) Launch terminal.

- With USB plugged in, type the following command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

The examples assume that the name of your USB flash drive is MyVolume.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2017 8:01 AM in response to timakker99

There are simple rules you should follow.

(pls, check step 2.1 for your case)

1) Download the MacOS High Sierra installation from iTunes.

2) Check installer support content at first. It should be contained in '/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport' folder. If the 'SharedSupport' directory does not exist, go to step 2.1, otherwise - go to step 3.

2.1) There is no 'SharedSupport' directory.

2.1.1) Run the MacOS High Sierra installation application and let it download things and exit the application before restarting.

2.1.2) The operating system is installed in '/macOS Install Data', copy the contents of the directory to '/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport'. If the 'SharedSupport' directory does not exist, create it in '/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents'.

3) Launch terminal.

- With USB plugged in, type the following command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

The examples assume that the name of your USB flash drive is MyVolume.

Mac osx high sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.