Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting Firewire to USBc

I'm looking at getting a new Mac, but they only have USB-c and I need to connect an audio interface that has firewire. Is there a direct adapter out there, or do I need 2 adapters(Firewire 800 > Thunderbolt 2 & Thunderbolt 2 to USB-c)?

Posted on Oct 6, 2017 1:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2017 6:13 PM

For what it's worth,

I just purchased a MacBook Pro® - 15" Display - Intel Core i7 - 16 GB Memory - 256GBSSD. I have an older Firewire MOTU 896 and and 896HD which MOTU has kept the drivers current with the new OS. Both are FW400 devices.

This may be no consolation to you however, I can confirm that both audio interfaces are working under Sierra High via Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter ; Thunderbolt 2 to FW800 adapter; FW800/FW400 cable.

Good luck!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2017 6:13 PM in response to ConcordRd1

For what it's worth,

I just purchased a MacBook Pro® - 15" Display - Intel Core i7 - 16 GB Memory - 256GBSSD. I have an older Firewire MOTU 896 and and 896HD which MOTU has kept the drivers current with the new OS. Both are FW400 devices.

This may be no consolation to you however, I can confirm that both audio interfaces are working under Sierra High via Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter ; Thunderbolt 2 to FW800 adapter; FW800/FW400 cable.

Good luck!

Oct 6, 2017 3:00 AM in response to ConcordRd1

You posted this question in the Mac mini group and no Mac mini made so far has a USB-C connection.

However assuming you are referring to a different model Mac e.g. a MacBook Pro which does have USB-C then the answer would be as follows.

• Get the Apple Thunderbolt3 to Thunderbolt2 adapter
  • Get the Apple Thunderbolt2 to FireWire800 adapter
  • Connect the FireWire cable to the second adapter

Note: Most if not all old FireWire audio interfaces are not supported under Sierra or High Sierra. You should consider getting a USB audio interface to replace it. Furthermore by the time you have paid for both the above Apple adapters you will be well on the way to the cost of a brand new USB audio interface.

Obviously you should first check to see if your existing ancient FireWire interface is compatible with Sierra or High Sierra before buying anything.

Connecting Firewire to USBc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.