Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FileVault Key - is it on iCloud?

Hi,

I have FileVault enabled, but I don't remember enabling it. How do I know whether the key is stored on iCloud, or I created a personal one?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Oct 6, 2017 1:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2017 2:00 AM

Hi,

You could try resetting your password to know if it is stored locally or on iCloud.

From: Change or reset the password of a macOS user account - Apple Support

If FileVault is turned on, you might be able to reset your password using the Reset Password assistant:

1. Wait up to a minute at the login screen, until you see a message saying that you can use the power button on your Mac to shut down and start up again in Recovery OS. If you don't see this message, FileVault isn't on.
  2. Press and hold the power button until your Mac turns off.
  3. Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.
  4. When the Reset Password window appears, follow the onscreen instructions to create a new password.
    If you need to connect to Wi-Fi, move your pointer to the top of the screen and use the Wi-Fi menu User uploaded file to connect. To exit without resetting your password, choose Apple menu > Restart.
    User uploaded file
  5. When done, click Restart.
  6. If you were able to reset your password with the Reset Password assistant, log in to your account using your new password.
  7. Create a new login keychain.

Reset using your Recovery Key (FileVault must be on)

If FileVault is turned on and you have a FileVault Recovery Key, you can use that key to reset your password.

1. At the login screen, keep entering a password until you see a message saying that you can reset your password using your Recovery Key. If you don't see the message after three attempts, FileVault isn't on.
  2. Click the arrow User uploaded file next to the message. The password field changes to a Recovery Key field.
  3. Enter your Recovery Key, then follow the onscreen instructions to create a new password. Click Reset Password when done.
  4. Create a new login keychain.

User uploaded file

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2017 2:00 AM in response to SnoopGroggyGrog

Hi,

You could try resetting your password to know if it is stored locally or on iCloud.

From: Change or reset the password of a macOS user account - Apple Support

If FileVault is turned on, you might be able to reset your password using the Reset Password assistant:

1. Wait up to a minute at the login screen, until you see a message saying that you can use the power button on your Mac to shut down and start up again in Recovery OS. If you don't see this message, FileVault isn't on.
  2. Press and hold the power button until your Mac turns off.
  3. Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.
  4. When the Reset Password window appears, follow the onscreen instructions to create a new password.
    If you need to connect to Wi-Fi, move your pointer to the top of the screen and use the Wi-Fi menu User uploaded file to connect. To exit without resetting your password, choose Apple menu > Restart.
    User uploaded file
  5. When done, click Restart.
  6. If you were able to reset your password with the Reset Password assistant, log in to your account using your new password.
  7. Create a new login keychain.

Reset using your Recovery Key (FileVault must be on)

If FileVault is turned on and you have a FileVault Recovery Key, you can use that key to reset your password.

1. At the login screen, keep entering a password until you see a message saying that you can reset your password using your Recovery Key. If you don't see the message after three attempts, FileVault isn't on.
  2. Click the arrow User uploaded file next to the message. The password field changes to a Recovery Key field.
  3. Enter your Recovery Key, then follow the onscreen instructions to create a new password. Click Reset Password when done.
  4. Create a new login keychain.

User uploaded file

Jan 3, 2018 3:43 AM in response to anonyme4321

Hi! I have a question related to this threat. I'm running High Sierra on my new MacBook Pro 15 inch Mid 2017 and during the computer's initial setup I enabled FileVault and I chose to store a recovery key on iCloud instead of storing it offline myself. However I changed my mind, decrypted the disk, encrypted it again but this time made sure to not use iCloud for the recovery key. I thought everything was okay, but then I tried to reset my Mac's password. When I went into the Reset Password assistant, I was able to login using my Apple ID and it automatically retrieved a recovery key which enabled me to reset my password. I assumed this shouldn't be possible since I opted for an offline recovery key for FileVault. Could anyone perhaps clarify how it is possible that I am able to retrieve a recovery key from iCloud using my Apple ID in the Reset Password assistant? Under Users & Groups I didn't enable "Allow user to reset password using Apple ID".

FileVault Key - is it on iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.