Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS High Sierra iTunes keyboard shortcuts stop working

I upgraded from El Capitan to High Sierra on a Mac Pro (Mid 2010). Since the upgrade I have noticed that iTunes (12.7.0.166) stops responding to the play/pause button (F8) after a while. I can make iTunes respond again by bringing iTunes into focus and then pressing CTRL-Space to start playback and then again to stop it. After doing this, F8 again starts/stops playback. Until some time has elapsed, that is, at which point it stops working and I have to repeat the process. I have iTunes configured to run on all desktops.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13), iTunes 12

Posted on Oct 6, 2017 7:57 AM

10 replies

Oct 16, 2017 9:57 PM in response to eattheword

Hi,

I upgraded from Sierra to High Sierra last week. Since then, I've noticed my iTunes (12.7.0.166) also stops responding to my Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2 keyboard shortcuts. I was able to make iTunes respond; however today it's not responding at all, no matter what I do. Very frustrating. I'm hoping there will be a fix to this soon.

Oct 27, 2017 3:26 AM in response to eattheword

UPDATE: Yes, it seems that whatever media player was last in focus takes over control of the media keys, but even bringing iTunes back into focus doesn't restore control to iTunes. Here's what I discovered on my system though: I use the Twitter desktop app. If I play an embedded video that someone has placed in a tweet (even by using the mouse to start it) then the Twitter app takes over control of the media keys. Following that, hiding the Twitter app does not release control, and even when I bring iTunes into focus by making it the current window the media keys still do not work with it. What DOES seem to work, however, is quitting the Twitter app. Then, regardless of whether iTunes is in focus or not, it then responds to the media keys.

So, in short, it seems that Twitter hogs the keys after using it to play an embedded video. Quitting the app then immediately reopening it seems to let iTunes take the reins again. 😕

macOS High Sierra iTunes keyboard shortcuts stop working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.