Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changes to terminal with OS X 10.13.

Were their changes to terminal with 10.13? I can no longer telnet into a class from Cisco through terminal to complete Lab work. I keep getting an error saying that the command is no found (telnet).

Any thoughts or knowledge on this?

Thanks guys (and gals)!!!!

Frank

Posted on Oct 6, 2017 10:25 AM

8 replies

Oct 6, 2017 10:42 AM in response to Frankz30

Telnet has, by the powers that be, been removed from High Sierra.

Whether it is still able to in the full release of High Sierra or not, some

have simply copied the Telnet executable fro Sierra and have it work.

Be sure to chmod +xr after the copy (using sudo)

Telnet is such a simple handy tool to use if security in not an issue.

Worked really well as a remote debugger when physical connection

was not available.

Oct 6, 2017 11:57 AM in response to Frankz30

Thanks everyone! I can't understand why "the powers that be" would remove it. So many people, especially ones in the IT fields need and use telnet for older equipment. Doesn't make sense. Now i'm forced to find something else since the website doesn't support the other stuff mentioned here. I might actually have to use Windows ( i just threw up a little)...

Again, thank you all for the replies...

have a good weekend!

Oct 6, 2017 12:11 PM in response to Frankz30

Because Apple engineers are disconnected from what real people do on a daily basis. Not only did they remove telnet, they also removed ftp — ostensibly due to security concerns. Although sftp remains, some sites do not support it.

And, drumroll, Apple tampered with the /etc/paths file so that /usr/local/bin now is the first element of $PATH, and not the last as it has been for years. Be careful if you have same-named commands in /usr/local/bin, as in other macOS binary locations, as the results may be different than you expected.

I edited the /etc/paths file to restore the proper search path element order. No need for more surprises.

Changes to terminal with OS X 10.13.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.