Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Live photo on lock screen doesn't animate

why won't my live photo animate on my lock screen? It's just still. I was able to teach someone else how to do it, but my iphone 7 won't.

Posted on Oct 6, 2017 9:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2017 1:20 PM

Hello MrsRidgevol,

Thanks for double checking the steps and testing other Live Photos. The next step is to reinstall the iOS using iTunes.

Please make a backup of your data prior to doing this step: You can make a backup in iCloud or iTunes using this article: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Once your data is backed up, you can reinstall the iOS using this help article: If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Please pay close attention when you reach step 4 which says:

When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits recovery mode, let the download finish, then repeat these steps.

Once your iOS is reinstalled, test if the issue with your Live Photo on the Lock Screen is still occurring. Thanks again and have a great rest of your day.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2017 1:20 PM in response to MrsRidgevol

Hello MrsRidgevol,

Thanks for double checking the steps and testing other Live Photos. The next step is to reinstall the iOS using iTunes.

Please make a backup of your data prior to doing this step: You can make a backup in iCloud or iTunes using this article: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Once your data is backed up, you can reinstall the iOS using this help article: If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Please pay close attention when you reach step 4 which says:

When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits recovery mode, let the download finish, then repeat these steps.

Once your iOS is reinstalled, test if the issue with your Live Photo on the Lock Screen is still occurring. Thanks again and have a great rest of your day.

Nov 25, 2017 8:19 PM in response to sterling r

I also have the same problem. I have tried everything. My Live Photos were working before I downloaded the latest iOS - now they’re not. Now I have downloaded live wallpapers and they will only work now if I double tap the download in the photos app and not at all as a wallpaper.

I can only download the new iOS directly on to my phone as it just doesn’t work via my laptop or desktop.

Could be the reason this poor woman hasn’t bothered to answer you. Rock and a hard place and it takes way too lo

Oct 7, 2017 12:54 PM in response to MrsRidgevol

Hello MrsRidgevol,
Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with setting a Live Photo on your Lock Screen. This article talks about this: Set Live Photos as wallpaper

Set Live Photos as wallpaper

Go to Settings > Wallpaper > Choose a New Wallpaper. Tap Live, then choose a Live Photo that comes with iOS, or choose your own. Tap Set, then tap Set Lock Screen. (The Live Photo won’t play on your Home screen.)

When the Live Photo is showing on the Lock Screen, press to view it.

You can set Live Photos as wallpaper on iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, and later.

Learn more

If you are are still unable to get it to play, please switch to a different Live Photo, preferably one that is included with the iOS instead of one taken with the device, or sent to you. Test if only that one, or all Live Photos are not playing correctly. Thanks and have a great weekend.

Live photo on lock screen doesn't animate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.