Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FileVault Oddities in High Sierra

I'm wondering if anyone has noticed odd changes to FileVault recovery options in High Sierra.

With the previous OS, Sierra, I chose to use FileVault's iCloud option to unlock my drive and reset my password in the event I forgot it, and the result of that choice was that the FileVault window in System Preferences indicated that I could use my iCloud account to unlock my drive, and when logging into my Mac, the login window would offer the option to use my appleID/iCloud account if I took more than a minute or so to to log in.

However, after upgrading to High Sierra (with FileVault fully enabled), the above has changed. The FileVault window no longer states that I can unlock my drive with my iCloud account; rather, it says a recovery key is necessary (which I don't have because I was never presented with one, because I never chose that option). And the login screen no longer presents me the option to use my appleID/iCloud account to log in, should I wait longer than a minute or so to enter my local password.

One Apple Care senior advisor I spoke with thought this was strange enough to ask for log files from my Mac. Another senior advisor simply told me that the way to unlock now is to boot into the recovery partition, launch terminal and launch the reset password tool, which in the end does ask for my Apple ID and password. Ok, nice to know there's a workaround, but it just struck me as odd and very "un-Apple-like" (a key functionality requires the use of a terminal command, while the FileVault window makes it clear a "recovery key" is required, when in actuality, that's not quite true, since I chose the iCloud unlock option?)

I'm starting to wonder whether something went strangely awry in my install or if others were noticing this same issue? Before I spent the time doing a clean install to see if that changes anything, I thought I'd reach out here.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Oct 7, 2017 7:48 PM

6 replies

Oct 7, 2017 8:36 PM in response to jtnyc

Hello jtnyc,

What OS version did you upgrade from? I thought Apple removed the iCloud login option in El Capitan. It I very "Apple-like" for them to silently remove some feature and then not test it. Apple is trying to push people into using two-factor authentication. I strongly suggest you change your account to not use your iCloud account. Also, if you aren't using two-factor authentication, I strongly suggest you turn off "back to my <whatever>" on every device you have. Hackers are using Apple's own "back to ..." service to function as ransonware.

Once you get a normal logic account, you can use System Preferences > Security & Privacy > FileVault to associate your local password with FileVault. If not, there is yet another command line tool that can do it. 🙂

Oct 7, 2017 8:57 PM in response to etresoft

Hi, thanks so much for replying and for the valuable info. I upgraded from Sierra. With respect to the iCloud login option, I think you're right, Apple did remove it at some point. What I was referring to is a different iCloud integration, which appears to be very much in place (although oddly so in High Sierra), which allows users with FileVault enabled to use their iCloud account as a recovery tool in the event of a lockout rather than having to keep a recovery key somewhere. I actually never used the iCloud login option you're referring to, although I was aware of it.

Oct 8, 2017 11:13 AM in response to etresoft

Thank you. Very helpful command line tool. In the end, I think I'm going to do a clean install of High Sierra, to see if that makes a difference. It can't hurt. And at the suggestion of a senior advisor, I'll send "feedback" to Apple about the loss of an intuitive, clear recovery process for FileVault. Thanks so much again for your help.

Jan 4, 2018 11:32 PM in response to jtnyc

I had the exact same issue on two MacBooks. The criteria seems to be:

- Upgrade to high sierra and

- And be using iCloud to sign into your Mac

- And have Filevault enabled

After the upgrade you're then stuck with two passwords. I too am re-encrypting. If that fails I am re-installing.

It seems that Apple are ignoring the issue.

FileVault Oddities in High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.