Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No signal from Apple TV 4k unless I unplug power

If I don't use the Apple TV 4k for a while, when I turn my TV on the TV says there is no signal from the Apple TV. I have to unplug the Apple TV from power and plug it back in, and then everything works fine (including HDR 4k).

I thought it was related to the ATV going to sleep, so I set it to Never sleep, but no change in behavior. The light on the front of the Apple TV flickers when I press buttons on the remote, even though there's no picture. I have tried multiple HDMI cables and HDMI inputs on the TV. The TV is a Samsung that supports HDR and 4k. Did I get a bad ATV?

Posted on Oct 8, 2017 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2017 6:22 AM

For those of you needing to pull the plug and then plug it back in to have your TV see a signal, note that you can hold both the Menu button and the Home (TV) button on your atv4k Remote for about 6 seconds and it will cause your atv4k to cycle power off and bak on. This will only save you a trip to your physical plug to get the signal.

On the other hand, even though I am convinced that in future Apple will find a software fix for this issue, I actually exchanged my apt4k at the nearest Apple Store because I was within the return period. When I connected the new atv4k to my TV i have seen no sign of the problem.

One has to realize that the Customer has no way to actually totally Restore an atv4k. In other words, you cannot actually reload the Operating System or Clear the atv4k completely and start from scratch. You can only Reset the atv4k which is not the same. Consequently if this issue is truly a software issue where some corruption or other flaw occurred in manufacturing you can't really do anything to resolve or mitigate this. On the other hand if this is a Hardware issue, which it probably is not, you can't do anything about that either. I have no idea if the Apple Store or an Authorized Apple Service Provider has the capability currently to totally Restore the atv4k in the field as yet.

My feeling is that if your connected atv4k is showing a great picture when the signal is viewable on your TV, your HDR appears to be working correctly, and your sound is correct then the wakeup signal issue is probably not your cable or your Settings on either Device (i.e., the atv4k or your tv).

70 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2017 6:22 AM in response to rezpso

For those of you needing to pull the plug and then plug it back in to have your TV see a signal, note that you can hold both the Menu button and the Home (TV) button on your atv4k Remote for about 6 seconds and it will cause your atv4k to cycle power off and bak on. This will only save you a trip to your physical plug to get the signal.

On the other hand, even though I am convinced that in future Apple will find a software fix for this issue, I actually exchanged my apt4k at the nearest Apple Store because I was within the return period. When I connected the new atv4k to my TV i have seen no sign of the problem.

One has to realize that the Customer has no way to actually totally Restore an atv4k. In other words, you cannot actually reload the Operating System or Clear the atv4k completely and start from scratch. You can only Reset the atv4k which is not the same. Consequently if this issue is truly a software issue where some corruption or other flaw occurred in manufacturing you can't really do anything to resolve or mitigate this. On the other hand if this is a Hardware issue, which it probably is not, you can't do anything about that either. I have no idea if the Apple Store or an Authorized Apple Service Provider has the capability currently to totally Restore the atv4k in the field as yet.

My feeling is that if your connected atv4k is showing a great picture when the signal is viewable on your TV, your HDR appears to be working correctly, and your sound is correct then the wakeup signal issue is probably not your cable or your Settings on either Device (i.e., the atv4k or your tv).

Apr 6, 2018 12:34 PM in response to gfunkdave

I still have this problem as well. It only happens after everything is shut down and then later or the next day the you turn everything back on. I think it has to do with the ATV turning when it detects the TV turning on. I was going to get a harmony remote that can control a smart outlet and have it just turn the power to the ATV off when everything else gets turned off but from reading about it, that you cannot put this smart outlet in the harmony activity that is used to turn on the various components to watch tv

1. turn on TV and set to HMDI2
  2. turn on receiver and set to AV2 (using optical cable from ATV to receiver as receiver HDMI pass throughs do not support 4K)
  3. Turn on ATV (or really wake it but I think it just wakes up when the TV comes on)

I wanted to just have step 3 be turn on smart outlet that the ATV is connected to an that would solve it. Not ideal, but it would work if the smart outlet could be added to the activities of the harmony.

Maybe I could make a custom signal that emulate the rebooting (two top buttons pressed) and put that in the activity as the last step after a 5 second pause or something.

Oct 20, 2017 6:42 AM in response to WiseJD

Had the exact same issue. Thanks for the tip of holding the menu and home button!

I resolved this by changing the port hdmi2 to hdmi1 on my tv, restarting the Apple TV, and going into settings -video settings reset .

Had to reenable Dolby Vision after and click on the “test my cable” as well. Everything worked for now... report more tomorrow... cheers

Nov 9, 2017 5:59 PM in response to gfunkdave

I also have this issue on an AppleTV 4K that just arrived to me direct from Apple last week.

Had to power the power to get it to register again, now cutting that step thanks to WiseJD's info on: hold both the Menu button and the Home (TV) button to restart the AppleTV.

I tried resetting video settings as mentioned in a follow-up, not sure if that will help yet.

If not I'm probably going to try to exchange mine.

Dec 2, 2017 11:55 AM in response to Cappachino

My AppleTV was approaching the 30 day mark and my wake issue was getting worse (instead of every other day, to once a day, it was becoming multiple times a day; and it no longer was able to reliably output Chroma 4.2.2 to my TV that supports it).

Due to the issue getting worse I decided I was no longer waiting for 11.2.

I've now exchanged my AppleTV 4K for a new one, and while it's only been a few days I have not had any wake issues. Where as my last AppleTV 4K with issues started on day 1.

Both of them running the same TV OS 11.1

Dec 15, 2017 10:15 AM in response to gfunkdave

I'm having a similar issue, but mine will flicker between seeing the home screen and no signal. Unplug and plug back in and all is well. I thought it was initially my cheap amazon cable, but I swapped it for the Belkin cable that Apple sells and the problem persists. I'm going to contact Apple support to see if they'll replace it.

Video of the issue in action:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PCMgMaRsiBgWiTYM2

Dec 30, 2017 10:28 AM in response to gfunkdave

I've been having a similar issue since day 1 of having my 4K Apple TV and it's beyond annoying. What I see is the Apple 4K TV not turn on at all sometimes when pressing any buttons on the remote, the power light on the Apple TV does not turn on - I have to unplug and plug the Apple TV back in to get it to work. It always seems to happen after it's been off for a while, almost always on the first startup of the day. I have 2 other 4th gen Apple TVs that have never once had this happen. I'm beginning to think this is purely a hardware problem and am about to take it back. Has anyone filed a ticket with Apple about this or is getting an exchange the only solution?

Dec 31, 2017 12:51 AM in response to Cappachino

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I've been updated to the latest tvOS since it released and am still seeing the same issue. I wonder sometimes if it's a bluetooth problem with either the apple 4k TV and/or when having other bluetooth devices (like airpods) nearby - but holding down menu + tv buttons works as a workaround so I'm not sure it's a problem with the bluetooth signal. I think the 4k apple TV has bluetooth v 5.x whereas the apple TV 4th gen has bluetooth v 4.x so I do wonder if there is some problem specific to the apple 4k TV ... my 4th gen apple TVs are still working flawlessly and have never had this problem.

Dec 31, 2017 5:37 AM in response to Griswald34

Griswald34 wrote:

I've been having a similar issue since day 1 of having my 4K Apple TV and it's beyond annoying. What I see is the Apple 4K TV not turn on at all sometimes when pressing any buttons on the remote, the power light on the Apple TV does not turn on ... is getting an exchange the only solution?

It certainly sounds like a hardware problem. It could be the remote or the ATV. An exchange would be the simplest solution.

Jan 3, 2018 12:34 PM in response to NosOther

Purchased a 4K Apple TV for use with LG Oled tv.

After half an hour to an hour, randomly loses signal and TV says no input detected. Remote on Apple TV cannotnwake the Apple TV up.

The only way to fix is to unplug Apple TV and restart the device.

What a joke. Happens every day. Returning this garbage

No signal from Apple TV 4k unless I unplug power

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.