Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Flickers after High-Sierra Update

Hello,

After updating to High-Sierra,

Had few problems:

1. Bluetooth Keyboard & Mouse - Kept losing connection, was not able to restore the connection until restart. I fixed it by unpairing the devices and pairing them back up - so this was solved (I hope).

2. Screen flickers, when moving between desktops (Parallels Desktop), and also on some Native macOS apps, the screen starts to flicker. It does not happen all the time, but when it does it's really annoying.

Any idea what could be the reason?

Right after the update, the CUDA driver popped-up, and it said Update is Required, but there "Install CUDA Driver" is grayed out. Maybe it has anything to do with it?

Where can I get the latest CUDA driver?

Hope for a solution.

First time ever that I'm having issues after OS update with Apple.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13), Mid 2012

Posted on Oct 8, 2017 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2017 10:32 AM

I have had problem #2 since the High Sierra update went public. My screen occasionally flashes. It seems to happen in spurts. It is still rare enough not to trouble me, and it doesn't appear to be getting worse. For now. FWIW, I don't have problem #1. I did upgrade my SSD to APFS, and I had trouble with the installer hanging; I manually rebooted the computer and the drive had been formatted correctly (as far as Disk Utility could tell).

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2017 10:32 AM in response to Yakeer

I have had problem #2 since the High Sierra update went public. My screen occasionally flashes. It seems to happen in spurts. It is still rare enough not to trouble me, and it doesn't appear to be getting worse. For now. FWIW, I don't have problem #1. I did upgrade my SSD to APFS, and I had trouble with the installer hanging; I manually rebooted the computer and the drive had been formatted correctly (as far as Disk Utility could tell).

Dec 13, 2017 11:03 AM in response to AndrewSoltan

Update: I reached out to Slack, since their app has been flickering the most for me. Here is their response:

Hi Andrew,

Thanks so much for writing in today and letting us know about this. You're definitely not the first user to see this issue, and I'm really sorry about the trouble it has caused you.

It turns out that there is a bug with Chromium (we use it in the underlying framework for Slack) conflicting with Apple's High Sierra (10.13) and NVIDIA graphics processing units. It sounds like Chromium has patched the bug in their latest version, so we're working hard on this end to get that into our next Slack app release.

If you're noticing this is really disruptive, you could give Slack a go on a browser, or trying the the steps below (though I'm afraid the steps are not a guaranteed fix!).

• Open Terminal on your Mac
  • Paste in the following:
    cd /Applications/Slack.app/Contents/MacOS/ ./Slack.app
    And then put in
    --disable-gpu-rasterization

I'm actively watching this bug Andrew, so I will let you know as soon as we have any updates on this. I'm sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

All the best,

Emilee

Nov 12, 2017 12:58 PM in response to Yakeer

I upgraded to High Sierra and my screen immediately started flickering. It became progressively got worse after a restartso I thought it would be best to do a time machine restore.

Upon starting that process, the screen not only flickered but my screen had grey vertical lines. I continued to let it restore through the night but the next morning, I couldn't see anything on the screen. I turned off/on the Mac and nothing.

Phone support couldn't help so I brought it tot he Genius Bar on Madison Ave. Apparently and conveniently, the genius says its a hardware defect and would cost $475+tax to repair.

Odd, a perfectly good MacBook Pro screen goes bad immediately following my "upgrade" to high Sierra.

Nov 23, 2017 4:33 AM in response to karlosfl

I would suggest taking it to a Genius Bar and have them diagnose it. If your experience is like mine, it will get worse to the point where you cannot see anything on the screen while restoring.

Apple told me I have a hardware issue and charged me to replace the screen. They tried to tell me it was a coincidence but I know it was high Sierra that caused the flickering and burnt out the screen

Nov 27, 2017 10:25 PM in response to AndrewSoltan

I bought my MacBook Pro Mid 2012 non-retina new in 2014 I think. I care a lot for my electronic products to keep them in mint condition, save the box and so on. I have not any problem at all during these years. Until the High Sierra, with errors getting me to think "something is broken". Unfortunately, the problem is still there even after complete reinstall to El Capitan. I also noticed a spinning globe during a second or so together with some flickering thin lines. It also appeared during web surfing, however, thats what the computer is used to 90% of the time. The disk is an SSD disk.

Nov 30, 2017 8:55 AM in response to Yakeer

I'm getting the same thing - an odd flickering when switching from the macOS screen to the Parallels Desktop screen. It began immediately after installing High Sierra. The flickering seems to be limited to when using Parallels and switching back and forth as shown in the video I made. I get two types of flickering - the first reminds me of an accordion opening/closing (see video) and the other is a straight up flicker - each occurring when switching to Parallels.

Here is the video:

macOS: flickering video after installing High Sierra - YouTube

I didn't get any messages during installation about a CUDA driver - or any type of issue while upgrading - for me the upgrade was business as usual.

Here is my system info:

mid 2015 MacBook Pro

(2.8GHz i7, 16GB, 1T SSD, AMD Radeon R9, Intel Iris Pro)

macOS High Sierra 10.13.1

Parallels Desktop 13 Pro Addition

David

Dec 2, 2017 8:57 PM in response to Yakeer

Hi,

I had the same problem, went to apple support and they have no clue and claims it is a hardware problem but the hardware test detects no problem....i mirrored my display with an external monitor through HDMI and it worked, although once i remove the hdmi the screen flickers again finally after a lot of formatting my ssd i booted a different os and it worked for me, now i am stuck with a mac and using windows, i guess it is better than spending to fix a perfectly working hardware i guess.

For the bluetooth issue i connected my mac with mobile hotspot and bluetooth started working it is wierd but see if that helps you.

now i am waiting for the future update when there would be some patch which will address this issues, till then using a different OS

Dec 2, 2017 9:18 PM in response to Yakeer

According to my earlier post the problem was still left after reinstalling El Capitan. I have to admit, this seems not to be the case. The black screen that was seen now and then with High Sierra is gone. My wife experienced a black screen after re-install to El Capitan, and of course, complained about it. Although, I suspect that it was the energy saving that kicked in pretty fast since the values were reset during re-install. I usually change these values to something higher. The spinning globe I mentioned, I have no idea but probably not related. I set up my computer running from full battery and placed it at our dinner table, removed every energy saving setting and watched it during the whole day (well... not strictly speaking), now and then I used the web-browser and some applications. I couldn't notice anything strange during this time. My wife hasn't complained anymore about it. If only the Software Engineers had the courage to give the marketing guys the birdie when forcing a release of a not thorougly tested software.

Dec 31, 2017 6:55 AM in response to Yakeer

I have the same issue and it seems to mostly happen when running safari. It's interesting that I also have Parallels installed though I still see the issue when it's not running. Parallels is mentioned quite often by others.

This update has been horrible. Besides the flickering problem, my system hangs almost every time I connect to an external monitor which is another problem often reported. I'm used to the occasional hiccups when upgrading but these video issues are beyond annoying and it's hard to believe they weren't seen during regression testing.

Jan 18, 2018 11:35 AM in response to Yakeer

Add me to the list

Got a Mac Pro that I use for work, had various problems with High Sierra (or Apple Vista as it is now known)

First it was disappearing icons, then tearing and now flickering. I have tested changing the gpu graphics card but the problem still exists.

I have a Radeon 280 with the internal drivers so it is something that is wrong with the update.

Such a poor upgrade - so bugged

Jan 19, 2018 11:35 AM in response to Hugo Hidalgo

I came across a fix - so far so good

The usual fix for this is the reset PRAM cmd-option-p-r on restart

I did this and nothing really changed

So I tried again and then shut-down completely. On restart I did shift-crtl-option while pressing the power button and held the power button for 10 seconds until the mac let out a sound. Apparently this drains all the power from the mac and it starts from fresh. Hmmm not sure about this explanation - but it has worked. coincidence or other

Worth a try

Screen Flickers after High-Sierra Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.