Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11 - Voice Memos: Unresponsive Speaker Icon

Hello,

Ever since upgrading to iOS 11, the speaker icon in the upper right corner of the Voice Memos app has become unresponsive.

By default, the icon is toggled on (i.e. the icon is blue), so that voice memos are played through the external speaker instead of the receiver.

When I try to toggle the icon off (i.e. the icon is gray), the icon does not change.

I experience this issue on the iPhone 5s running iOS 11.0.1 and iOS 11.0.2.

I also experience the issue on the iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 11.0.2.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

iPhone 5s, iOS 11.0.2

Posted on Oct 8, 2017 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2017 9:47 PM

I currently have the same issue. I found a temporary fix by navigating to Control Center, long press or 3D Touch Music then press the audio routing button and switch from Speaker to iPhone.User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

11 replies

Oct 26, 2017 8:38 PM in response to caseywong1288

I had the same problem initially but since I plugged in an earphone into the earphone jack of the iphone, the problem resolve. Now, I am able to take the speaker on and off and play thru the earphone by touching the speaker icon on the voice memo screen, blue speaker indicating phone speaker is on and white indicating is off and earphone mode.

Oct 27, 2017 9:00 PM in response to tummas47

We only have "iPhone" in our Control Center. We do not have the "speaker" icon in the Control Center. However, we have the same speaker problem in our Voice Memos (native) app. We have been able to occasionally toggle on the Voice Memo speaker from Blue to White. But it does not always change, although it should. Now this is in the iPhone SE. I have my own iPhone 5s and I have never had that problem. Therefore, I am assuming that it is a bug. In any case, I will try the method provided by caseywong and see if that works. If that does not work, then I will try to find out why we do not show the "speaker" icon in the Control Center. Also, I chatted with a rep at Apple and I was referred to the Feedback center. But I have not gone there yet. If I find any answers that have not yet been listed in the Community, I will post them. Thanks to all and have a great day!

Oct 28, 2017 9:16 PM in response to tummas47

Hi tummas47, Thank you for the video and advice. I tried but could not get both the iPhone and speaker icons to appear in the Control Center.

I noticed that when I played back a memo without ending a recording (pausing the recording), and I used the round button next to the red recording button to listen to the memo, I found it easier to toggle the speaker on and off from blue to white and so forth.

The round button that I am referring to is a round white circle with a white arrow inside that points in the direction of the red recording button. At the other side of the red recording button is the “Done” button. So all the buttons are showing as I listen to the recording.

After I listened to the recording, I would press the “Done” button and I could then choose to save or delete the recording.

Sometimes there would be a delay before the speaker’s color changed, and sometimes it depended on how hard I tapped the speaker (whether blue or white).

I noticed that the more you tap the button, the better it seems to work - I think! But still, this problem should not be happening, unless there were changes by the developers. I don’t know.

Oct 28, 2017 11:42 PM in response to Mary491

Hi Mary, anything I’m suggesting is in no way trying to hide the fact an issue is present for the application. Kinda strange the Control Center method doesn’t work. Although the same process can be done by plugging and unplugging a pair of earphones. When that’s done I noticed that the blue speaker toggle works until closing the application and you need to do it again. I know it’s quite a nuisance but if that doesn’t work I’m out of ideas.

Oct 29, 2017 9:36 PM in response to tummas47

Hi tummas47, How are you? Yes, I understand that you are not suggesting that there isn't a problem, so don't worry about that. Maybe the Control Center method could have worked but I was attempting it all wrong - who knows? It wasn't my phone. I was just trying to help someone out. I didn't have much time to try the method, so maybe next time I will do better. In any case, I appreciate all your help and suggestions. If I happen to come across an answer, I will post it. I like the Community - people helping people. It's a great idea and a good way to learn a lot about how to use our devices. It's good to know that there are people out there who care! Thanks again!

iOS 11 - Voice Memos: Unresponsive Speaker Icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.