Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My latest generation 4K HDR Apple TV keeps freezing up. Any ideas as to what’s causing it and how Can I turn the thing off, now that it’s frozen?

I’ve been listening to my iTunes library this evening. Several times it’s frozen up. I went to the settings page several times while listening to some tunes. When I tried going back, the screen froze up. Tried press menu button, the one with the TV on it, the play/pause button. Nothing happens. I’m frozen right here.

User uploaded file

Posted on Oct 8, 2017 10:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2017 10:49 AM

Hello Rich,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that you have been having issues with your Apple TV 4K freezing and you are currently not able to shut it down.

First, to shut the Apple TV down, you can take a look at the following support article and follow the steps there:

How to restart your Apple TV

Once you have the Apple TV shut down, you can take a look at this article and restore the Apple TV to factory settings to clear out any possible software issues it may have:

Restore your Apple TV to its factory settings​

Best regards.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2017 10:49 AM in response to richfromsaint anthony village

Hello Rich,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that you have been having issues with your Apple TV 4K freezing and you are currently not able to shut it down.

First, to shut the Apple TV down, you can take a look at the following support article and follow the steps there:

How to restart your Apple TV

Once you have the Apple TV shut down, you can take a look at this article and restore the Apple TV to factory settings to clear out any possible software issues it may have:

Restore your Apple TV to its factory settings​

Best regards.

Oct 19, 2017 1:50 PM in response to richfromsaint anthony village

I've had the same problem (only once so far, but in my opinion that's once too often).

The Help Desk's answer strikes me as being particularly unhelpful, almost suggesting that the problem is being caused by the owner using the unit incorrectly. There is not an acknowledgement by Apple that they're aware of the problem, accept that it is theirs to fix, and are actively working to correct it.

I don't have the option to connect via Ethernet cable, but that's beside the point.

If customers buy a unit with a stated WiFi connection capability, they have reasonable expectation that the particular connection option will work flawlessly.

Apple customers accept that they are buying products at a premium price. However, they should be getting products that provide premium performance and reliability, for a premium experience. Based on what I've read regarding this particular problem (and others which I will not cover here), customers are not getting what they paid for.

Lift your game Apple!

Oct 9, 2017 3:05 PM in response to Leanne_68

I called the wonderful Apple Help desk this morning to discover the cause of my problem was that 4K HDR Apple TV froze because I was using a WiFi connection. Once I connected it to Ethernet the problems went away. My old 2nd gen Apple TV worked just fine with WiFi. It was also causing problems with my Bluetooth earphones. They were not properly disconnecting when I tried to end my Apple TV session, even though I was ‘disconnecting’ them through Apple TV. Once I hooked it up to Ethernet, I was able to unpair, then pair to another device.

Oct 19, 2017 5:14 PM in response to MarkLinQLD

My problem was solved by the Apple heldesk. You need an Ethernet connection to the latest Apple TV. Immediately and correctly diagnosed by the Apple rep. If I had carefully read the documentation that came with My 4K HDR Apple TV, I wouldn’t have had this problem. My old Apple TV worked fine with WiFi. Not so with the new one.

Oct 19, 2017 7:44 PM in response to richfromsaint anthony village

Rich I'm glad that the suggested solution worked for you.

However, couple of points....

I don't know what documentation you received with your unit, but what I received with mine amounted to a small slip of paper with a couple of paragraphs of simple set up instructions, none of which told me that I needed (that is, must use) an Ethernet connection.

Yes, the unit has an Ethernet port, but there are no instructions stating that it MUST be used. With regard to WiFi connections, the Help section of the Apple TV includes cautionary notes relevant to such a connection (such as positioning or proximity of the Apple TV relative to the router to guard against signal interference). I've read those notes, but they do not apply to my situation. My WiFi is working and the signal strength as measured by the Apple TV shown as maximum.

Currently, my unit is not misbehaving in terms of freezing, an I'm grateful for that. (There are issues reported by other users which apply equally to me, but I'll wait and see if future firmware updates resolve those.)

But I'm a little concerned that anyone with the freezing issue is left with the impression that a wired Ethernet connection is the only solution. If it is the only solution, then anyone who does not have ready access to such a wired solution, and who continues to experience freezes, will just have to return the unit and have their money refunded. I'm pretty sure that such an outcome would not be the one Apple would prefer.

Oct 19, 2017 8:04 PM in response to MarkLinQLD

You’re correct. Nowhere does it say that, directly. I expected it to work with WiFi. I have the fastest wifi available, and expected it would work fine without Ethernet. Ethernet is what it needs. Even with Ethernet, I was unable to get HDR until I substituted a ultra high speed HMDI cable for the one that I used with my second generation Apple TV. I purchased the Belkin cable that was suggested on the Apple Store app. The difference is remarkable. I have always thought that talk about the need for high speed HMDI is a bunch of baloney.

My latest generation 4K HDR Apple TV keeps freezing up. Any ideas as to what’s causing it and how Can I turn the thing off, now that it’s frozen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.