Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

copy/paste is not working after updated High sierra

few days ago, my macbook was automatically update the supplemntary patch of high sierra. Then, i can only COPY but nothing can be PASTE. Whenever I PASTE, there was a pop-up message notify me that the ''pboard quit unexpectedly"

Can anybody tell me how to solve it without reinstall OS ??? thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Oct 9, 2017 1:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2017 3:38 AM

Entering this command in Terminal and restarting the Mac cleared up the issue for me:

sudo update_dyld_shared_cache

It will ask you for your admin password, which you enter and hit "Return".

Let it run until it is done (it will spit out a bunch of "warnings" - DO NOT BE ALARMED, THIS IS NORMAL).

Then restart your Mac.

Because nobody every runs a Terminal command without knowing what it does (!!!), right?, here's the low-down:

WHAT IT DOES:

It updates the listing of shared system services used by various applications ("dynamic linker").

Simplified explanation:

When any application uses a function supplied by the operating system, it needs to reference, look up, and dynamically load the system library that actually performs that function. This can take time, so every time you install software or first run it, the system looks up all the libraries it requires and puts them in a list linking them to that app (in earlier systems, this was called "update prebinding", these days, it's what happens when you see "optimising system").

This saves a lot of time later on and speeds up performance.

Apparently, a bug in High Sierra can cause the libraries needed for copy and paste (the clipboard) to get disconnected from the list of services, the dynamic linker daemon database.

So forcing the system to re-check all of that database (dyld cache) will restore this functionality.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2017 3:38 AM in response to dredward95

Entering this command in Terminal and restarting the Mac cleared up the issue for me:

sudo update_dyld_shared_cache

It will ask you for your admin password, which you enter and hit "Return".

Let it run until it is done (it will spit out a bunch of "warnings" - DO NOT BE ALARMED, THIS IS NORMAL).

Then restart your Mac.

Because nobody every runs a Terminal command without knowing what it does (!!!), right?, here's the low-down:

WHAT IT DOES:

It updates the listing of shared system services used by various applications ("dynamic linker").

Simplified explanation:

When any application uses a function supplied by the operating system, it needs to reference, look up, and dynamically load the system library that actually performs that function. This can take time, so every time you install software or first run it, the system looks up all the libraries it requires and puts them in a list linking them to that app (in earlier systems, this was called "update prebinding", these days, it's what happens when you see "optimising system").

This saves a lot of time later on and speeds up performance.

Apparently, a bug in High Sierra can cause the libraries needed for copy and paste (the clipboard) to get disconnected from the list of services, the dynamic linker daemon database.

So forcing the system to re-check all of that database (dyld cache) will restore this functionality.

Oct 18, 2017 8:25 AM in response to lordmj

I had the same problem and tried everything listed everywhere short of reinstalling. Nothing worked. It seemed related to the supplemental update. Because mine is on a raid, I installed my High Sierra from a thumb drive so I caved and reinstalled the original version over itself. Cut and paste then began working again. I reapplied the supplemental update and it has stayed working. So far, so good.

This is a terrible glitch which seems to be affecting people randomly.

Oct 25, 2017 10:27 AM in response to iHadi

I finally found a solution for my problem...after about a month struggling with this problem, I just updated my Mac Fuse and Tuxera NTFS App and magically my copy/paste worked again...it's so weird because I have the copy/paste problem even in safe mode and it seems that it's not a third party app crashing...but just solved by updating (or disabling) those apps...

Oct 25, 2017 6:28 PM in response to iHadi

it's so weird because I have the copy/paste problem even in safe mode and it seems that it's not a third party app crashing...but just solved by updating (or disabling) those apps...

If the problem of copy/paste was on the Windows formatted external hard drive, then it all makes complete sense. The bundled software that allows you to write to a Windows formatted drive is flakey, at best. It is required to function for you to use the drive since you left it formatted for Windows. There would be nothing to disable in Safe Mode. You needed the opposite, for it to be enabled, but since it is crappy bundled software, it broke.

I don't understand why the drive manufacturers don't just put a text file on the drive explaining how to format it for use on your Mac instead of tricking you into installing crappy software to fake it into working.

Dec 1, 2017 8:33 AM in response to Michael Hinchliffe

PS to my previous post, for info. Since the Terminal dyld cache command still didn't work after a third try, and using Onyx to rebuild system caches didn't either, I finallycleared the issue by redownloading and reinstalling High Sierra.

Maybe then my particular problem was the result of a system crash I'd experienced 24 hrs previously. Console reports showed that thread 2 related to clipboard was crashin each time I used Command-V.

copy/paste is not working after updated High sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.