Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

firmware password ransomware? What do they do?

What does apple charge to fix the firmware password ransomware? What do they do?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Oct 9, 2017 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2017 11:38 AM

If your firmware password has been compromised you will need to contact Apple to have them reset the firmware password at an Apple Store, make an appointment first.

1-800-MY-APPLE

apple.com/contact

A reinstall of the OS will not be possible, and it would not bypass this lock.

NOTE: DO NOT PAY ANYONE THE RANSOM, you will likely get nothing but robbed.

in the mean time

You may wish to change your Apple ID log/pass with a password you do not use for any other on line service. If you use your same log/pass combo with another service (e.g. Yahoo, Twitter, Facebook, etc.) and that service is "hacked" then the perpetrators have to only try typing this same combo in any other service to get into your other accounts.

Change your Apple ID password - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/KM205079

Also consider enabling two factor authentication if you have not done so already.

Availability of two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2017 11:38 AM in response to McCarthyHighland

If your firmware password has been compromised you will need to contact Apple to have them reset the firmware password at an Apple Store, make an appointment first.

1-800-MY-APPLE

apple.com/contact

A reinstall of the OS will not be possible, and it would not bypass this lock.

NOTE: DO NOT PAY ANYONE THE RANSOM, you will likely get nothing but robbed.

in the mean time

You may wish to change your Apple ID log/pass with a password you do not use for any other on line service. If you use your same log/pass combo with another service (e.g. Yahoo, Twitter, Facebook, etc.) and that service is "hacked" then the perpetrators have to only try typing this same combo in any other service to get into your other accounts.

Change your Apple ID password - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/KM205079

Also consider enabling two factor authentication if you have not done so already.

Availability of two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Oct 12, 2017 6:18 AM in response to McCarthyHighland

Actually no,

what you are describing is two factor authentication.

The "Firmware Password"is the Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) password which enables or prevents tampering with the system when it's enabled. The drawback is you can lock someone not only out of the computer but out of restoring the computer to a different state. While this may seem like a flaw it's actually critical in some situations where someone could come in and sabotage a mac in a say a computer lab or in a workplace - or if your computer is stolen there is not a **** thing anyone can do with it.

Firmware password will only "ask you for a password" when you use recovery mode or changing a boot drive, it is not something that interferes or asks for authentication with OS X.

Firmware Password was introduced with Intel CPU Macs but other "lockout" variants were around at least as far back as my Powerbook

User uploaded file

yes, that one! But unlike these older built-in password devices the Firmware password will not let you bypass with another boot device.

for more info see this article

How to set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support

Oct 9, 2017 1:04 PM in response to McCarthyHighland

McCarthyHighland wrote:

I've read several comments that 2 factor security won't prevent this hack. Is that true?

A lot would depend on how the 2nd factor is sent to you. If you are using an iPhone and it is sent via Apple's Messages, it is NOT going to get intercepted.

If you are using another phone, then it will be send as a cell carrier SMS text message. SMS text messages can be intercepted.

If you change your Apple ID password, and make it a strong password, it is unlikely to guessed, so they will not even make it to the 2nd factor

https://xkcd.com/936

GRC's | Password Haystacks: How Well Hidden is Your Needle?

When giving answers to the Security questions Lie, Lie, Lie. Make up nonsense answers. Do not answer truthfully that you went to xyz high school, or your first car was yellow, etc... HOWEVER, make sure you record you nonsense answers with exact spelling and upper lower case. I personally use the 1Password.com password manager and have the encrypted password file shared with all my devices, so if I loose access to one, I can still access my passwords on another. There are other password managers, such as LastPass.com, or even Apple's Applications -> Utilities -> Keychain Access and then use iCloud to share your keychain with your other devices.

If you do all of these things, it is very unlikely your Apple ID will be hacked.

Oct 11, 2017 1:39 PM in response to McCarthyHighland

Hello, McCarthyHighland? You may think of my reply as Worthless, but I need practice at writing.

Just _what_ is "firmware password ransomware"? Happily, I feel Ignorant. :-)

P. S. I've used several Macs since 1985. My first Mac was a MacPlus, in 1985. I wrote this with an iMac, with System v10.13 [High Sierra] _&_ a solid-state drive. The solid-state drive makes it Fast, again. [That means no-more Spinning Hard Disk drive, too. :-) ]

Oct 11, 2017 4:17 PM in response to Bob Novy

Firmware password is the 4 or 6 boxes you see when it boots up and you have to enter a PIN number. Ransomware is someone obtained your iCloud identity password and hacked in remotely and set the firmware password and won't tell you what it is unless you pay them. Apparently there's some loophole that they can get through the "find my iPhone" app that they can use to get access and screw you. If your devices all use iCloud. Apple can supposedly fix it but I don't know how much it costs or what they have to do to fix it.

Oct 11, 2017 6:31 PM in response to McCarthyHighland

McCarthyHighland wrote:

I've read several comments that 2 factor security won't prevent this hack. Is that true?

Yes, it's true. Two-Factor Authentication is not needed to put a device into Lost Mode. This is by design. If it was required and you lost your phone while traveling, you wouldn't be able to put it into lost mode using a non-trusted computer.

Don't enable Find-My-iPhone or Find-My-Mac on a device that doesn't have a passcode or firmware password set. Lost mode can't change a passcode or password, only set one on a device that doesn't already have one set.

firmware password ransomware? What do they do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.