Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Limit for group chat

Is there a limit to the number of people that can be on a group chat? I am trying to make one with 36 and it stops letting me enter at 20. Also, I am not able to go through the details prompt to add a group name.

iPhone 6s Plus

Posted on Oct 9, 2017 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2017 3:05 PM

I believe there is a limit. It used to be 10. If you can't get beyond 20, that's probably what it is now.

You can only add, remove and rename a group chat if everyone in the chat is using iMessages (blue). If even one person is using SMS (green), you won't have those options.

For large group messages, especially if not everyone is using iMessage, I'd suggest using a dedicated messaging app. You'll get much better results. I use GroupMe (inertia) but there are lots of others.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2017 3:05 PM in response to hbheise

I believe there is a limit. It used to be 10. If you can't get beyond 20, that's probably what it is now.

You can only add, remove and rename a group chat if everyone in the chat is using iMessages (blue). If even one person is using SMS (green), you won't have those options.

For large group messages, especially if not everyone is using iMessage, I'd suggest using a dedicated messaging app. You'll get much better results. I use GroupMe (inertia) but there are lots of others.

Oct 9, 2017 3:05 PM in response to hbheise

hbheise wrote:

Is there a limit to the number of people that can be on a group chat? I am trying to make one with 36 and it stops letting me enter at 20. Also, I am not able to go through the details prompt to add a group name.

Yes there is an limitation for the number of people you can add in a MMS (Apple and non Apple devices) group chat, you're phone carrier can let you know what the limit is.

you can only add users for imessage group chat, all users are using an Apple device.

Limit for group chat

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.