Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[iOS 11] Music app: "Unknown Album"/No Artist/Year/Genre info for majority of song library

Hello, I have an iPhone 6S+ running iOS 11. My problem is that for some reason, my Music app can no longer sort songs appropriately. It says many of my songs are from Unknown Album. It has split up whole albums - 5 tracks on the album will have the correct artist and album name but for some reason, 2 or 3 songs from that album will suddenly come up as Unknown album, with no artist name, and no year. This problem is not consistent - some songs have been stripped from all data except the song title or genre. My whole Music library has become a mess!

My iTunes library on my Mac is still fine. Everything is cleanly organized and songs are sorted correctly. I don't have a single song in my library listed under Unknown Album. I tried wiping my phone's Music library and resyncing my music, but its just made it worse. Attached are screenshots - I'm having a hard time explaining the issue bc it's just so inconsistent and bizarre.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

(Sorry the screenshots are so big.) Some people on the forum with a somewhat similar issue said to alter the artist name/album name in iTunes. That's doesn't help and I have 3k songs, I can't do that for every one. Any ideas?

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 11, null

Posted on Oct 9, 2017 11:21 PM

11 replies

Dec 23, 2017 7:00 PM in response to giriboy

Hello giriboy, I'm having the same issue on my iPhone 6S, don't know if it's a 6S' thing or iOS overall, however, the only way I can fix this is by deleting the offending music on my iPhone WITH iTunes (curiously, all the info is there) and then copy the albums/tracks again. Hope that helps. I'm switching to another device and OS and I will be using this iPhone as a LTE iPod, so I'm taking my time since this will be my very last time using iTunes.

Edit: when this iPhone 6s was my daily driver, I've used an iPhone 5 with iOS 9.0.2, tried to recreate the scenario but it works well, guess it's an iOS bug.

Feb 9, 2018 6:56 AM in response to Community User

I have the same problem. No fix yet. iTunes on the Mac is fine (14k songs, 105 GB so thank goodness for that) and organizes songs by the correct album for all my ripped (downloaded) music. But, on the iPhone, many songs have "unknown album". Apple Music is "activated" for both iTunes Mac and on the iPhone, but Apple Music "syncing" is off on both devices.

The problem definitely started when I subscribed to Apple Music, although I do not sync the library. I use Apple Music to just stream songs (no downloading). Regardless, there is a bug in iOS which screws up the DOWNLOADED music (songs that were downloaded (ripped) before subscribing to Apple Music) even though music syncing is turned off. This was a concern all along and the reason I waited so long to subscribe to Apple Music, because I didn't want it screwing with the pre-existing library. Well, it did.

So, my suggested fix is Spotify. This is the route I'm going. Apple has screwed up here in forcing a sync and changing the pre-existing iTunes library when one signs up for the streaming service. I want to download stuff for offline listening but it is impossible to do with Apple Music. So, I'll go with Spotify, where one can download/sync and keep the pre-existing iTunes library untouched.

Feb 14, 2018 1:04 AM in response to giriboy

Hello all,

I load my iPod Touch 6 (iOS 11.2.5) using Autofill and was having the same problem, i.e. songs were grouped as "Unknown Album" making my library impossible to navigate.

On iTunes, the song info (Command-I) of properly sorted albums included "Sort As" entries under the "Sorting" tab. So, I entered the album names under the corresponding "Sort As" box for all of the songs improperly sorted on my iPod. After replacing my iPod library with the updated files, many (but not all) of the problematic songs were now properly sorted.

For the remaining offenders I had to manually delete the files and individually transfer each album back onto my iPod. It was labor-intensive, but this process eliminated all of the "Unknown Album" entries and now I can find my songs again! Hope that helps.

Mar 17, 2018 12:06 PM in response to giriboy

My suggestion is to sync your entire music library to iTunes. The reason that my music was screwy was since I had forgotten to select two of my albums in the sync options. I previously had bad or incomplete info, and the new correct info wasn't syncing correctly.

However, before you sync, make sure all of the info in your desktop iTunes is correct or up to date. If it isn't, you'll have a hard time getting things right.

Jan 15, 2018 10:36 PM in response to giriboy

Same problem, I have an iPhone 7 with iOS 11, i just canceled my membership, and got spotify meanwhile there's a fix because atm there is no fix, i tried everything. And it's irritating

[iOS 11] Music app: "Unknown Album"/No Artist/Year/Genre info for majority of song library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.