Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch Series 3 and external heart rate monitor

Hi..

Just bought an Apple Watch 3 and sold my old Garmin Fenix 3 watch.

I'm using my watch for tracking excecises in the gym, and for my outdoor runs, and
found the build in HRM not usefull for training like that.

Then I bought the Wahoo Tickr HRM, and thougth that it would do the
trick 🙂..
For about a week now, i have tried to figure out how to pair and use the external
HRM insted of the internal one in the Apple Watch but without any luck!

What I am doing:

1. Activate the Wahoo Tickr (Parringmode)
  2. Open Bluetooth settings in the Apple Watch.
  3. Tapping the name of the Wahoo Tickr when it show up.
  4. Wahoo Tckr is now connected.
  5. Starting a outdoor run in the training app on the Apple Watch.
  6. Observing that the green LED's is ligting up under the watch??
  7. Confused and dont know if it is the internal or the external HRM that is doing the job??

Ok, then I try to deaktivate the internal HRM in the watch (Settings -> General -> training). As
written under this option, this does NOT deaktivate the external bluetooth connected devices!

1. Activate the Wahoo Tickr (Parringmode)
  2. Open Bluetooth settings in the Apple Watch.
  3. Tapping the name of the Wahoo Tickr when it show up.
  4. Wahoo Tckr is now connected.
  5. Starting a outdoor run in the training app on the Apple Watch.
  6. Observing that the green LED's now is OFF.. 🙂
  7. But..... Now the the heat rate BPM is missing in the training app??

I have tested the Wahoo Tickr HRM in other app's on my iPhone 7, and it is working fine. Of
course I remember to unpair the Tickr from the iPhone before trying to connect it to the Watch.

I also tried to disconnect the watch from the iPhone, but nothing helps!

Another thing i noticed is, that the Nike+ running app (watch and iPhone) dont show heart rate
at all as the only app! I dont care because I dont use Nike+. Just a information 😉.

Main reason i want to use the external HRM is that the build in HRM is making wird mesurings
when I am doing exercises. Most of the time it shows a way to low result like 55-65 BPM where
it should show something like 110-140 BPM. Most of the time it do not mesure anything, but that
is what I expect of a build in HRM like this.

Am I doing something totaly wrong here?? Hope some one can help and point me in the right
direction.

Regards
Michael.

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 4

Posted on Oct 10, 2017 1:57 AM

27 replies

Nov 16, 2017 11:30 AM in response to FarmerMac75

The exactly same issue here.
Apple watch series 3 nike version and polar H7.

I already posted in many different forums and still did not found a reasonable answer for that.

The first time I paired the watch with the H7 it worked wonderfully, the other times nope...

It seems that the watch recognized the external device and put that in a "blacklist"

Even connected, the watch refuses to take readings from the external device! I just do not understand why since

it easily find and pair with the H7

There are a lot of users complaining about that! When Apple will do something to correct this?

For those who are serious about sports, the data generated is very important!

Below, 2 pictures of the almost same training, on the left Apple watch reading, on the right Polar H7

That was the only time I could use the external device 😢

User uploaded file User uploaded file

Nov 14, 2017 3:12 PM in response to kibblz

I have since posting, got mine working. I don’t have my PolarH10 connected to my phone. I turn on my HRM and wear it, then go into the watch Bluetooth settings, connect the HRM, then exit by pushing the crown on the side. When starting a workout, the watch will emit a 1 second flash on the in built HRM, then picks up the reading from my H10

Nov 28, 2017 3:47 PM in response to Bram007

This is working now for me too now! I was simply rebooting watch, apparently force reboot (holding button and crown for a few seconds) is doing something different. I set the watch to turn off Watch HRM monitor during workouts within the Watch App and I can see I am still getting heart rate data and there aren't any green lights on the watch, and its populating BPM much faster. I can't wait to try this tomorrow on my daily run. Thanks so much for the tip!

Dec 17, 2017 12:21 PM in response to Salscott

Apples implementation in this area definitely could use some improvement. An icon indicating external HRM being used would be helpful. The only way to tell right now if the external HRM is being used is to physically look under the watch and see if the green lights are illuminated. If you see no lights but you are getting eart beat data it is using the external one. I also-wouldn't put too much stock into the “connected” state the watch reads. In my experienceif you connect and leave that screen and then go back there it will no longer say connected even thought it is. What I’ve been doing is connecting the heart rate monitor so it says connected and I just leave that screen on the watch until I am ready to start my workout and launch the app for the workout.

Dec 17, 2017 4:49 PM in response to Salscott

I mostly run outdoors and take some hiit type classes and I am only using the native workout app since it fills my needs. I am using the TIKR HRM and it works with many 3rd party apps. I went to the external HRM because I found the built in one unreliable. Some days it would work great and other days it would be reporting the wrong numbers or have problems detecting my heart rate. I’ve found the external monitor to be 100% reliable and the method of detection is widely accepted to be more accurate than the wrist based method.

Apple watch Series 3 and external heart rate monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.