Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to edit photos with Photoshop Essentials from Photos.

I have OS 10.12.4 and Photos 2.0. I use Photoshop Essentials 13 to my photo editing. In the past I was able to set up iPhoto to edit a photo by simply clicking on the Edit button. Now there is no Edit button and I am unable to find any access to an outside editor like Photoshop. I don't like the editing tools in Photos. Can I go back to an earlier version of Photos or iPhoto in order to use Photoshop Essentials? Can I find a convenient way to access Photoshop? I don't want to have to export a photo and then import it back. I also don't want to switch to Adobe's photo organizer.

Mac Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.4), My processor is a 5,1.

Posted on Oct 10, 2017 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2017 10:55 AM

You can use any 3rd party image editor of your choice with Photos. All you need to do is purchase the 99¢ External Editors For Photos from the App Store. This user tip shows how: External Editors in Photos Are Here

I recommend you upgrade to High Sierra and Photos 3.0. There have even many improvements and fixes to both the system and Photos with that upgrade.

User uploaded file

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2017 10:55 AM in response to Bob1177

You can use any 3rd party image editor of your choice with Photos. All you need to do is purchase the 99¢ External Editors For Photos from the App Store. This user tip shows how: External Editors in Photos Are Here

I recommend you upgrade to High Sierra and Photos 3.0. There have even many improvements and fixes to both the system and Photos with that upgrade.

User uploaded file

Oct 10, 2017 11:35 PM in response to Bob1177

I am disappointed that Apple has repeatedly deleted functionality of apps and system software to make things look simpler (I suppose)

Actually, it is more convenient with the Photo Editing extensions. In iPhoto we could only select one external editor. When I needed to switch between external editors, I had to go to the preferences panel and select it to a different editor. That was clumsy. The photo editing extensions are all listed in a menu and I can switch freely between them. And call selected services offered by the applications as extensions. I am doing many edits in Affinity. And Affinity offers several extensions. I do not need to launch the full application, just the extension with the tools I want - for example, Affinity Retouche or Afffinity Haze Removal. All are there at once to pick from. And there is even an Affinity photo extensions calling the complete editor. It is one of the reasons why I now prefer Photos to iPhoto (as long as I do not have to make a photo book).

User uploaded file

In High Sierra we are able to call external editors directly from the "Image > Edit with" menu. But it is only working for a few applications like Pixelmator, that have already been updated to work with Photos. For most other applications I still need the External Editors extension, because they are not able to send the edited photo back to Photos.

Oct 11, 2017 10:42 PM in response to Bob1177

. I have been reading some cautionary tales related to APFS and will probably delay upgrading for awhile.

It will depend on your Mac model, if you need to convert to APFS or not when upgrading to High Sierra.

See: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208018

The upgrade will only install APFS, if the internal drive of the Mac is a SSD.

When you install macOS High Sierra on the Mac volume of a solid-state drive (SSD) or other all-flash storage device, that volume is automatically converted to APFS. Fusion Drives, traditional hard disk drives (HDDs), and non-Mac volumes aren't converted. You can't opt out of the transition to APFS.

Oct 10, 2017 10:54 AM in response to Bob1177

Consider to invest into the "External Editors" Photo editing extension. You can purchase it for 99cents from the AppStore. You call "external Editors" from the Edit page in Photos, and then select one of the editors you have installed. It makes it very easy to switch between external editors without having to change the preferences.

Oct 10, 2017 7:24 PM in response to léonie

Thanks to both Old Toad and leonie. I checked out "External Editors" on the App Store and found out that they have reintroduced support for external editors. Hooray!! I think I will just wait until I upgrade to High Sierra. I am disappointed that Apple has repeatedly deleted functionality of apps and system software to make things look simpler (I suppose). In iWork they deleted a number of features that I used frequently including vertical rulers, guide lines and "Save As." In Photos they deleted the option to display file names and support for external editors. That is just a sampling of the omissions we have seen that I truly miss.

How to edit photos with Photoshop Essentials from Photos.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.