Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some screenshots unsaved

Um so like I notice occasionally when I take a screenshot it makes the sound, the flash effect, etc, but when I go to Photos, it... it’s not there. No screenshot. Not in Camera Roll, not in Recently Deleted, nowhere, nada. Soooo... like is it Apple protocol to randomly purge screenshots? Some screenshots I take are time-critical and can’t easily be reshot if at all, so yeah, excuse my French but this isn’t really gonna fly with me. Kudos for any tips.

iPhone 7, iOS 11

Posted on Oct 10, 2017 12:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2017 9:21 AM

Hey there, Connor.

It appears that you're having difficulty taking a screenshot of your iPhone 7 on iOS 11. You hear the expected sound, but you're unable to locate the photo. I'm happy to help.

How to take a screenshot on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch -- With iOS 11, when you take a screenshot, you should see a thumbnail in the lower-left corner. If you're not seeing this, continue on.

About iOS 11 Updates -- If you haven't already done so, update your iPhone to iOS 11.0.2. Be sure to create a backup before updating to keep your personal information safe. How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

iOS 11.0.2

iOS 11.0.2 includes bug fixes and improvements for your iPhone or iPad. This update:

• Fixes an issue where crackling sounds may occur during calls for a small number of iPhone 8 and 8 Plus devices
  • Addresses an issue that could cause some photos to become hidden
  • Fixes an issue where attachments in S/MIME encrypted emails would not open

Take care!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2017 9:21 AM in response to Connor Hawke

Hey there, Connor.

It appears that you're having difficulty taking a screenshot of your iPhone 7 on iOS 11. You hear the expected sound, but you're unable to locate the photo. I'm happy to help.

How to take a screenshot on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch -- With iOS 11, when you take a screenshot, you should see a thumbnail in the lower-left corner. If you're not seeing this, continue on.

About iOS 11 Updates -- If you haven't already done so, update your iPhone to iOS 11.0.2. Be sure to create a backup before updating to keep your personal information safe. How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

iOS 11.0.2

iOS 11.0.2 includes bug fixes and improvements for your iPhone or iPad. This update:

• Fixes an issue where crackling sounds may occur during calls for a small number of iPhone 8 and 8 Plus devices
  • Addresses an issue that could cause some photos to become hidden
  • Fixes an issue where attachments in S/MIME encrypted emails would not open

Take care!

Oct 12, 2017 6:34 AM in response to Connor Hawke

Thank you for getting back with us with that information, Connor. Since this issue was happening pre-iOS 11, we'd like to make sure that this isn't a hardware issue. We have you do this by restoring your iPhone to factory settings to test.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch -- Please be certain you have a fresh backup of your iPhone to keep your personal information safe.

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to factory settings -- This process will completely wipe the iPhone to allow a fresh copy of the iOS software to be installed. The first time through, select "Set up as a new iPhone". Feel free to sign into iTunes & App Store and iCloud. Since you've mentioned that this happens only occasionally, sync your information back to your phone. Test the issue for a bit. If the issue doesn't reappear, restore the backup you made. Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup.

Let us know if and when the issue returns when you're able.

Enjoy your day.

Nov 8, 2017 12:56 AM in response to Leanne_68

Just happened with a screen capture video too. Red bar appeared at top signifying recording. After I ended the recording the usual message that the recording was saved didn’t appear. Sure enough, I checked Photos and it wasn’t there. I then immediately redid the recording the same way and it was then saved. I don’t feel like going through the process of backing up and restoring my entire phone simply to rule out the slim chance of a hardware issue since others have reported the same problem and I doubt they all have hardware issues. So I’ve reported this issue to Apple.

Some screenshots unsaved

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.