Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sending and Receiving email with only Apple Watch Series 3

I have Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS and Cellular; AT&T; version 4.0.1). My iPhone is 6s (version 11.0.2).

How can I send and receive email using only my Apple Watch without my iPhone being nearby?

If my iPhone is completely turned OFF, I cannot do it.

If my iPhone is turned On, and next to me, of course, I can do this!

If my iPhone is On, locked, connected to my home WiFi (that has Internet Connection), and I am miles away wearing my Apple Watch, next to WiFi (that has Internet Connection and no Password requirement), can I Send and Recieve email?

If so, is this the only method?

Is this method unique to AT&T, as a Carrier, or all Carriers?

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 4.0.1, iPhone 6s (version 11.0.2)

Posted on Oct 10, 2017 1:20 PM

12 replies

Oct 11, 2017 9:16 AM in response to Wobba

Wobba,

Thank you for your clarification. With regard to sending and receiving Messages using an Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS and Cellular), your original statement referred to, “iMessage/SMS.” The Apple Support reference you quoted referred to Messaging from the Watch using, “third-party apps.”

Try to to completely turn Off your iPhone, and you will be able to send an iMessage from your Watch, assuming the receiver has Apple iMessage too (i.e., send yourself an iMessage). “Third-party apps” that send messages is a different story, and, I agree, in this situation, your iPhone needs to be ON, but does not need to be near your Watch.

Here is a Screen Shot of my Watch of me Sending myself an iMessage from only my Watch with my iPhone completely turned Off. Please excuse the dictation/typo. It should read, “I hope Wobba takes this into consideration”.

User uploaded file

So, we are both kind of correct with respect to “Messaging“ with the Watch. Now let’s try to solve the original task of how to deal with Sending and Receiving ”Email“ using the Watch! Thank you again for helping to educate ourselves regarding our New Toy!

Oct 10, 2017 11:02 PM in response to cavett

Cavett,

That's not correct. Paired iPhone must be powered on (but not nearby) for SMS. See footnote 1 in attached link:

How to use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby - Apple Support

To receive SMS, MMS, or push notifications from third-party apps on your Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular), your paired iPhone must be powered on and connected to Wi-Fi or cellular, but it doesn't need to be nearby.

Oct 10, 2017 4:48 PM in response to cavett

I have the same issue and have been dealing with Apple Support engineering for the past week. My Watch will not send/receive emails, irrespective of whether I have LTE or WiFi connectivity, unless my iPhone is nearby. I have tested both Apple Mail and Microsoft Outlook on my Watch.

This is not the same issue that has been reported with iMessage/SMS which will send/receive over LTE/WiFi if your iPhone is not nearby providing it is switched on.

Apple Support have confirmed that, at present, the Watch 3 will not send/receive emails unless your iPhone is nearby irrespective of whether you have LTE or WiFi.

Oct 10, 2017 7:59 PM in response to Wobba

Wobbly,

The iMessage/SMS issue maybe should be in another section, but I have solved that issue, so I can now send and receive Messages from my Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS and Cellular) with my iPhone completely shut Off. This was with help of Apple Support:

1) iPhone Settings>Phone>Calls on Other Devices>Allow Calls on Other Devices>Allow Calls on>The Name of Your Apple Watch, etc. (you may need your Apple ID and Password for all of these steps); WiFi Calling (ON).

2) iPhone Settings>Messages>iMessage (ON; green); Send as SMS (ON); Send & Receive>Apple ID (enter it)>You can be Reached By iMessage At>Enter check marks; MMS Messaging (ON); Group Messaging (ON).

3) Back Up your iPhone.

4) Unpair your Apple Watch.

5) Again, Pair your Apple Watch (like you did when you first got it); Restore from the Back Up you just performed.

With above steps, I can Send and Receive Messages from my Watch when my iPhone is completely turned OFF.

Oct 10, 2017 8:36 PM in response to Wobba

Wobba,

You stated, “This is not the same issue that has been reported with iMessage/SMS which will send/receive over LTE/WiFi if your iPhone is not nearby providing it is switched on.

The reason I mentioned Messages is that you do not have to have your iPhone “Switched On” in order to send and receiveMessages From your Watch. But, you may have to in order to send and receive email.

Oct 12, 2017 12:57 PM in response to cavett

Hi.

I am able to send and receive emails and SMS texts and iMessages all on cellular away from my phone as long as my phone is on. I am on the AT&T network and have tested this numerous times because my husband is on the Verizon network with an android phone, so definitely has been a good test because he's way out of any networks I am on.

Jan 6, 2018 6:42 PM in response to cavett

Hey guys, anyone know if an update is in the works that allows watch to get emails on known WiFi during complete lack of iPhone?

Sending and Receiving email with only Apple Watch Series 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.