Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Export Problem Error 10004

This is the first time I've used iMovie since the new update. Every time I try to export my video as a file I get this message: Video rendering error: 10004 (iMovie error 10004: renderVideoFrame failed)

Also tried exporting to Youtube, no such luck.

I use OBS to record my display, then combine and cut up my video segments with iMovie, add some audio and export. I haven't changed my method and had no problems before the update. Even tried exporting my old projects again, and they won't export anymore.

I also deleted the rendered files and cleared out some old projects, changed qualities and tried both .mp4 and .mov original files and imported to imovie. Still nothing.

Any ideas I haven't tried? I haven't found anyone else with this particular error. Any help appreciated!

Info:

MacOS Sierra Version 10.12.6

Processor: 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

iMovie version 10.1.7

OBS version 20.0.1

MP4 codecs: H.264, AAC

MP4 Dimensions: 1280 x 720

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Oct 10, 2017 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2017 1:26 PM

Hi,

Take a look at the suggestions in this thread and see if any of them help you:

imovie not exporting video to file (error 10004)

-- Rich

5 replies

Dec 17, 2017 5:21 PM in response to meganmooch

So after hours and hours this was my fix, after reading many of posts and combing the answers into one solid fix.

Export to File (save on desktop) When error occurs and stops the process, open the "unfinished" file on your desktop with VLC Player and play the file to the end. Where the project stops in the VLC player, this is where your problem is located in your project.

Mine was imported Powerpoint creations that had black frames in the beginning. Went back to project, found the black frames at the beginning of the Powerpoint clips using the scroll function. Once located, select clip so it is highlighted with yellow square around it, then place your pointer at the beginning of the clip (where the black is) and press the "R" Key on your keyboard while clicking down on your mouse and (this is the Range Selector Box that will pop up with a small yellow box) > Adjust your Range Selector Box to the beginning of the clip where the black is, (the default on mine for "time" in the range section box was 0.6 seconds) then, either right click & delete, or press delete on your keyboard, or edit-delete. I had to do this for 6 out of the 8 Powerpoint creations that I had imported.

Export you project again and hopefully it works, as mine did.

Thank you to all for continuing your support.

iMovie Export Problem Error 10004

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.