Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11 Videos app disappeared

Hi,

I installed ios 11 last night and this morning see that my Videos app has disappeared!

I have seen seen posts about how to reinstall the Videos app through the App Store, but I think this will restore just the app, not all the videos I had in it?

Can someone please help? I use the app for work and am now very worried that Ive lost all my projects.

Thanks,

Andrew

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 11.0.2, 32Gb RAM;

Posted on Oct 11, 2017 12:47 AM

39 replies

Mar 13, 2018 2:23 PM in response to KAS7

OK, so that wouldn't be 3D Touch. 3D Touch is when you press and hold harder on a particular icon or app - it doesn't interact with a keyboard at all. When you do that, a separate menu will come up with other options that you have.

Try doing these things:

Go to Settings>General>Accessibility>Touch Accomodations, turn on Touch Accomodations. There you have the option to turn on Hold Duration to allow you to hold down your finger a bit longer or a bit shorter in order for the tap to be recognized. You can play around with this setting to see if you can set it more to your liking.

Just below that, you can turn on "Ignore Repeat" to prevent inadvertent multiple touches from causing the selection to be repeated (if your fingers are shaky, for instance).

Just so you know, this is what you might see if you were using 3D Touch. I placed my finger on the Notes icon, then pressed down a bit harder on it to get this secondary screen:

User uploaded file

So, as you can see, 3D Touch is an enhanced set of options that you access by holding down a bit harder on an item. It doesn't cause numbers or other keyboard input to repeat.

Best of luck,

GB

Mar 11, 2018 5:57 PM in response to MichelPM

Let me spell it out for you.

1. iTunes on MY Mac shows the videos as being loaded on my brand new iPad Mini 4.
  2. The Summery function in iTunes shows the space used by those videos on my iPad.
  3. But the tv app on the iPad says there is nothing there.
  4. I am now wondering if I shouldn't have purchased and Android tablet instead.

Is that simply enough for you?

Oct 11, 2017 7:07 AM in response to Diana.McCall

No doubt, although I didn’t know about it because it didn’t appear automatically on my desktop. What did happen automatically was that the Videos app disappeared. That’s what should have come with some kind of advice from Apple, as people tend to get used to things they use or see every day. Given the number of similar posts I read about the subject, I’m not alone in thinking this.

Dec 25, 2017 4:39 PM in response to gail from maine

The old app allowed you to watch home video's. Haven't seen how to do that with TV yet. Brief statements imply that it maybe possible but it is not intuitive. I have sync'd movies to the phone from itunes but the TV app does not show them. The app looks like a good product for Apple to sell something but not for use. Maybe Apple will consider charging a fee to use my own phone to watch my own movies and solve the problem.

Dec 25, 2017 9:52 PM in response to DavidWoo

When you sync videos from iTunes, the home videos are found in the TV App under the Library button in the upper left corner inside of the TV app.

Tap the “Library” name and then tap on Home Movies category.

Any movies/videos that AREN'T purchased/rented iTunes movies/TVshows will get stored under the Home Movies category.

Jan 5, 2018 4:39 PM in response to gail from maine

iPhone 7 & iPad - I found that I could not see any 'home movies' the TV app - I am not using iCloud, but I was thought I should still be able to see my home video's uploaded from iTunes Films, however this did not work.

My work around was to save the moves into a folder & add them via the iTunes photo & made sure I ticked the 'include video's' & now I can view my movies via photos app.

Jan 10, 2018 3:48 PM in response to Irish Mom 75

Sure thing 🙂

Even though they say it is easier I had a problems seeing my home movies in the TV app. I read a blog where it said that you actually had to purchase a movie before it will initate your home movies. I spent hours trying to figure it out, so I went old school!

1. Create a new folder on your Mac/PC, & add your photos/movies that you would want to view on your iPhone/iPad.

2. Connect your iPad/iPhone & open iTunes. Select photos in the menu of the device. Tick the box to sync photos from file & select the file you added your movies too. Make sure you tick box that asks to sync movies files too.

This worked for my iPad & iPhone, let me know if need further clarification!

Have fun, Kerrie.

Feb 20, 2018 10:55 AM in response to kerriebt72

Most likely, in spite of the fact that I didn't think about it since it didn't show up naturally in my work area. What happened naturally was that the Videos application vanished. That is the thing that ought to have accompanied some sort of counsel from Apple, as individuals have a tendency to get used to things they utilize or see eachday *** Given the quantity of comparable posts I read about the subject, I'm not the only one in intuition this.

<Link Edited by Host>

Mar 11, 2018 6:08 PM in response to KAS7

What kind of videos are you talking about here?

If purchased iTunes TV/Movie content these would show up in the TV app under Library and either under TV shows or Movies category.

Any other types of video/movie content would be dumped under the Home Movies category.

If these are videos/movies shot with an iDevice camera or digital camera, on iOS, these maybe stored in the iOS camera app used or they may appear in the iOS Photos app.

These are the ONLY places videos/movies would be stored.

Mar 11, 2018 7:15 PM in response to MichelPM

Oh, the movies were stored on the device OK. The trouble is the TV app could not see them. At All!

But not to worry, I found a 3rd party app (Waltr 2) that fixed the problem and the TV app now sees them just fine.

Once Waltr 2 reset whatever software flag that was stuck, I had no problem.

Why I had to do something life that is another story.

Who beta tests your products anyway? Oh, that's right, the customer does.

Now if I can just find a way to turn off the crappy 3D touch pad and/or adjust the sensitivity I might make this into a useful tool.

iOS 11 Videos app disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.