Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra install fail loop

I tried to upgrade my MacBook Pro mid-2012 (500Gb HDD) from Sierra to High Sierra. Downloaded the update painlessly, however the installation process hangs at around 43min remaining and fails with a « Installation failed (DiskManagement error 0) »

If I click on the Restart button, the whole process starts over and the installation fails at the exact same point.

I already ran disk repair on my main macOS partition but to no avail (Repair said the partition was fine)

I have a 2 weeks old backup but not currently with me so I can’t restore anything at the moment.

Disk utility recognises the main partition and even allows me to mount it. I did have a second Linux partition but I cleared it thinking this was the issue but Nope, same problem occurs with or without the Linux partition.

What am I supposed to do to get out of this loop? At this point, I would be happy if I could at worst get back to the previous OS.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Oct 11, 2017 3:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2018 4:20 PM

Hi All,

I was able to solve my installation loop problem by doing the following:

Start from the USB installer drive.

Launch Disk Utilities and select the drive where you want to install the OS.

Select to PARTITION the drive.

Select the one existing partition and choose to format as 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)'

Restart the computer and run the OS installer (the installer will re-format the partition as APFS).

For some reason the installation fails if you try to install on a volume that is already APFS, but will proceed to completion if you start with a non-APFS volume and let the installer format it as APFS as part of the installation routine.

Cheers, y'all!

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2018 4:20 PM in response to R3mco

Hi All,

I was able to solve my installation loop problem by doing the following:

Start from the USB installer drive.

Launch Disk Utilities and select the drive where you want to install the OS.

Select to PARTITION the drive.

Select the one existing partition and choose to format as 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)'

Restart the computer and run the OS installer (the installer will re-format the partition as APFS).

For some reason the installation fails if you try to install on a volume that is already APFS, but will proceed to completion if you start with a non-APFS volume and let the installer format it as APFS as part of the installation routine.

Cheers, y'all!

Oct 12, 2017 3:00 PM in response to b54v55

Hi b54v55,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

From your post, I understand that you are attempting to update your Mac from Sierra to High Sierra and your are receiving an “Installation failed (DiskManagement error 0)” error message. I can also see that you have tried some great troubleshooting already as well, but the issue continues. We’re here to help.

To begin troubleshooting this situation, I suggest a two prong approach. If you have any third party or additional RAM installed in your Mac, I first suggest removing that RAM and replacing it with the RAM your Mac shipped with.

Install memory in an iMac - Apple Support

Once the original RAM is back in your MacBook Pro (if different RAM was installed), boot your Mac into safe mode and try to install High Sierra once again.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Cheers!

May 6, 2018 12:18 AM in response to b54v55

Hi b54,

First, I feel that your comment on going back to the previous version is a very smart & practical one. Sierra is an excellent OS, and I see no significant changes between it & High Sierra to offer reasons to definitely upgrade. Also, it may simply work better with your Mac in particular for an array of reasons. So, that's a viable option.

Download Sierra:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202

If you would like to go forth with High Sierra, you could try to install via internet recovery mode using the following keys (press ALT + CMD + R on restarting your Mac/powering it on). Hold down the keys until you see a spinning globe.

More specific instructions are below:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Best of luck (:

Apr 4, 2018 10:08 AM in response to b54v55

I found the following procedure that worked for me

1. Enter Safe Mode [press shift after pressing on button until you see the apple]
  2. Open Disk Utility and do a first First Aid on my SSD disk. I received the following Log

Checking the snapshot metadata tree.

error: snap_metadata_val object (oid 0x11dd47): invalid extentref_tree_oid (0x0)

Snapshot metadata tree is invalid.

The volume /dev/rdisk1s1 could not be verified completely.

File system check exit code is 0.

Restoring the original state found as mounted.

Operation successful.

1. Press Apple / Shutdown / Unchecked box “Reopen windows when logging back in” This seemed to be important as I tried many times without this step.
  2. Press power button to restart like normal. It took longer than normal so just wait.
  3. Then everything is back to normal
  4. My Computer is as follows: OS High Sierra 10.13.4 Beta (17E190a) on a MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Nov 13, 2017 6:32 AM in response to b54v55

I had this issue too, fails to install (even a recent patch caused the same error). You can bust out of the loop. I think I used a combo of Option+Command keys. Then quit the installer. First time this happened, memory buffers for Copy/Paste no longer worked. Next time it was the Wireless Device failed. I had engineers from Apple downloading logs, etc. Nothing. I finally reinstalled the OS from disk. Take note, something I failed to do - BACKUP your stuff!

Once you do a reinstall of the OS watch out for the updates. I'm not convinced that Apple has a grasp on how bad this failure is, but its bad!

I will not upgrade any of my other devices to OS High Sierra. Not until a full point release.

Jan 5, 2018 10:25 AM in response to rose_10

Hi Apple Support,

95 people including me have the same question. Apparently the problem isn’t solved but since your last reply it has been awfully quiet.

Can you at least pretend you take this community serious and provide us with some more information. About possible solutions or the process to find one.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Remco

Jan 10, 2018 8:05 AM in response to b54v55

Same thing happening to me. Unfortunately, the download never stops before 4 gigs or so, so nice waste of time and bandwidth.
I used to love Apple, now I detest it with passion. First they slowed down my iPhone 6, now I cannot even update my Macbook. The company has morphed into an unethical and incompetent beast, and I will think twice before buying another product from them.

Jan 20, 2018 10:46 AM in response to B.E.R.R.Y.

I am having the same issue on a MacBook Pro. I have nothing but a white screen after the advance bar completes the install. It now has tried to install over a dozen times and there doesn't look to be a successful conclusion in the future. Why did the APP Store suggest this change if it would not work for my computer? How do I stop this and reset without an OS?

Feb 9, 2018 4:28 AM in response to Owlette123

You can try to reinstall from recovery mode with internet access.

Shut down your Mac, switch it on and press "option-command-r" it will display a rotating earth icon and will let you install the latest macOS version for your Mac.

Anyway I'm too having a weird problem with High Sierra on a mid-2015 iMac 5K, I can't make it properly boot from an external drive.

Feb 11, 2018 10:47 PM in response to gabriele1973

macbook pro mid 2012 Have 3rd Failed attemp at installing high sierra.

first update from sierra toe high sierra,got stuck on calculating time remaining about 20% from complete.

reformated drive,started from lion to mountain lion to high sierra = stucked same place on installation.

try 3 from mountain lion thru recovery mode to high sierra,stuck same place agian.

we are 5 guys with macs on boat all 5 macs crased after update over last 3 months its macbook pros and macbook airs.

dont have a usb drive to do a usb install.

any idea how to get it up and running again?

Please help

Feb 16, 2018 6:43 PM in response to John Apolinario

I got mine working on 5th install.

I tried even the online installation from the comd r.

in the end i made a time machine from friends macbook,deleted all his stuff,made a usb boot drive with diskmakerx 7 and a few youtube videos.

Booted from usb boot drive,after 23 hours of installion stuck on progress bar at full i gave up,turned laptop off and when i started it went back to the appel logo with progress bar and then it opened with high sierra installed.

I restarted about 10 times to be sure its working then put all my stuff back on laptop.

Feb 27, 2018 2:02 PM in response to b54v55

Hi there.

I had the same situation (failed to upgrade to 10.13.2 and 10.13.3 with same failing loops) and I searched for a couple of months but had found no direct answer to fix it.

Finally I made it by:

1. Log in your mac with THE FIRST USER created as root, which is most probably linking the Apple ID used to purchase your mac. (You can check by Sys Preference >> Users & Groups >> Click to lock to make changes >> [THE FIRST USER] >> two-finger click to show Advanced Option >> now check the Apple ID )

2. Log in App Store using THE FIRST USER (Not sure if it helped)

3. Download the COMPLETE upgrade package from the App Store >> MacOS High Sierra.

4. Install the package.

This solution was inspired by one short note jumped out showing for 2 seconds that the Apple ID I used was not able to upgrade.

Good luck!

Cyrus

High Sierra install fail loop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.