Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

So sad, DVD STUDIO PRO won't launch in High Sierra

It's sad. I've been using DVD STUDIO PRO for years go create professional DVDs. Now it won't work in High Sierra.

And Final Cut Pro X's DVD creation is lame.

Posted on Oct 11, 2017 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2017 1:54 PM

I too still use DVD Studio Pro and always keep a few cloned hard drives going back a few OSs just in case something breaks with a new OS. It's always a best practice to have at least one cloned drive of your system before upgrading.

19 replies

Nov 22, 2017 10:56 PM in response to Mike Sastre

Due to the firmware update I can't get my back-up OS drive to boot the computer, on my MacPro 5,1. I can select the startup disk but the computer will not boot in the previous OS. I can't even re-install Sierra due to the "this OS can't be installed on this system message. So now my (ex) work machine is stuck in High Sierra forever, not happy. It bricked DVDSP, FCP7 and Livetype. I only use DVDSP for 6 jobs per year in Nov/Dec but there is now no-way to open those previous jobs. I have 1 legacy job I edit in FCP7, now that is stuffed also. How hard would it be for the OS installer to have a message saying "by the way, this, this and this, will not work once you install me"? Mark

Nov 23, 2017 7:16 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

I agree. The FCP suite cost me $1500 Australian dollars, and I bought 3 suites! Ok, I know they are out of date and I have recently moved my business to Prem Pro on PC, but I still need to access software I bought for older projects. I do not know how they get away with it. Luckily I downloaded Encore from Adobe, and I can keep working. I spent 2 days last weekend and there is no way to revert to Sierra OS using a back up boot drive. It just is not good enough.

Nov 24, 2017 7:01 AM in response to Mike Sastre

MacPro 5,1s are stuck at Sierra for any FCP, Livetype, DVDSP type of work, plus a bunch of other Apps also will not work, like Toast. After a lot of messing around I managed to get Disk Drill to create a USB El Capitan boot drive. I then managed to install El Capitan on a spare HDD. I thought I was quite clever, only to find out that the High Sierra SSD WILL NOT MOUNT under Sierra. Disk Utility, Disk Drill and Tuxera can see the High Sierra SSD, but will not mount it! The computer can now dual boot, but when it does boot, the opposing OS drive is invisible... To sum up: I can boot in Sierra but not see the High Sierra drive or I can boot in High Sierra but not see the Sierra drive. What a cluster!! I can't even manage to manually migrate mail back to Sierra. I have done this many times over the years with no trouble, it's been the main Mac benefit over the decades. But APPLE has clearly said,"you're the weakest link" to 5,1s. If you use a 5,1 for business DO NOT "UPGRADE" to High Sierra. My business has recently moved to PC, so I'll get by. But just imagine if I had bought the upcoming iMac Pro, (which I was contemplating) what a waste of money that would have been under High Sierra. I love Apple and have 10s of thousands of $$ of their gear but this bites the big one!! As a side note: If you use Prem Pro on a Mac, it works even better on a PC, and Windows 10 is actually very stable (although ugly). And not a single OS crash in 6 weeks, and not a single hard reboot. I could not be happier with the PC and Adobe CC. Mark

Nov 24, 2017 8:05 AM in response to markfromgero

MacPro 5,1s are stuck at Sierra for any FCP, Livetype, DVDSP type of work, plus a bunch of other Apps also will not work, like Toast. After a lot of messing around I managed to get Disk Drill to create a USB El Capitan boot drive. I then managed to install El Capitan on a spare HDD. I thought I was quite clever, only to find out that the High Sierra SSD WILL NOT MOUNT under El Capitan. Disk Utility, Disk Drill and Tuxera can see the High Sierra SSD, but will not mount it! The computer can now dual boot, but when it does boot, the opposing OS drive is invisible... To sum up: I can boot in El Capitan but not see the High Sierra drive or I can boot in High Sierra but not see the El Capitan drive. What a cluster!! I can't even manage to manually migrate mail back to El Capitan. I have done this many times over the years with no trouble, it's been the main Mac benefit over the decades. But APPLE has clearly said,"you're the weakest link" to 5,1s. If you use a 5,1 for business DO NOT "UPGRADE" to High Sierra. My business has recently moved to PC, so I'll get by. But just imagine if I had bought the upcoming iMac Pro, (which I was contemplating) what a waste of money that would have been under High Sierra. I love Apple and have 10s of thousands of $$ of their gear but this bites the big one!! As a side note: If you use Prem Pro on a Mac, it works even better on a PC, and Windows 10 is actually very stable (although ugly). And not a single OS crash in 6 weeks, and not a single hard reboot. I could not be happier with the PC and Adobe CC. Mark

Nov 27, 2017 2:26 PM in response to markfromgero

The firmware update that accompanies the HS installer does not prevent booting up from drives with a previous OS. The firmware update is done separately from, and prior to, Installing High Sierra. I just downloaded HS (without installing) but did install the firmware update. I have switched back and forth between 3 drives, each with a previous OS, without any problems.

Nov 28, 2017 1:27 AM in response to Allan Gengler

After about a week of messing around, whilst running High Sierra, I managed to create a USB boot drive for Sierra using Disk Drill. I then managed a clean install onto a spare HDD. Now my MacPro 5,1 will dual boot. The only problem is Sierra will not allow Migration Assistant to access the High Sierra SSD data. Migration Assistant can see the drive is there but a little yellow "roadblock" triangle appears next to the High Sierra SSD icon. What this means is that if I need to use FCP7, DVDSP or Livetype (thankfully that is not often now days) I need to boot in Sierra but if I want access to my previous data, I have to boot in High Sierra. It's mainly Mail that is my main concern, everything else can be reinstalled but Mail will not transfer, even if I transfer Mail manually, High Sierra Mail appears empty. For me it's not the end of the world but I can see it would be a major headache for anyone that works in Legacy software everyday.

Nov 28, 2017 6:31 AM in response to markfromgero

markfromgero wrote:

After about a week of messing around, whilst running High Sierra, I managed to create a USB boot drive for Sierra using Disk Drill. I then managed a clean install onto a spare HDD. Now my MacPro 5,1 will dual boot. The only problem is Sierra will not allow Migration Assistant to access the High Sierra SSD data. Migration Assistant can see the drive is there but a little yellow "roadblock" triangle appears next to the High Sierra SSD icon. What this means is that if I need to use FCP7, DVDSP or Livetype (thankfully that is not often now days) I need to boot in Sierra but if I want access to my previous data, I have to boot in High Sierra. It's mainly Mail that is my main concern, everything else can be reinstalled but Mail will not transfer, even if I transfer Mail manually, High Sierra Mail appears empty. For me it's not the end of the world but I can see it would be a major headache for anyone that works in Legacy software everyday.

The reason Migration Assistant in Sierra cannot access the High Sierra drive is almost certainly because it is formatted as APFS. You can get around this. Use SuperDuper! to make a clone of your drive to an external HFS+ formatted drive, and I'm pretty confident you can use Migration Assistant from there.

Nov 28, 2017 6:34 AM in response to markfromgero

Mail also may be recovered, probably.

For IMAP, it should be just a matter of creating the appropriate accounts. All mail is on the server, anyway.

That leaves the problem of what to do with the "On My Mac" mailboxes.

For that, I would try selecting the appropriate mailboxes and doing Mailbox->Export Selected Mailboxes, then on the other system just do File->Import Mailboxes.

Feb 4, 2018 5:34 AM in response to Allan Gengler

Kicking myself, I didn't investigate this before upgrading to High Sierra, now there are no good DVD authoring tools out there... bit peeved off really... now considering dusting the cobwebs off a really old macbook pro hoping the burner still works, cos its the only thing left that will still use DVDSP.

anyone know where to get a bootable copy of yosemite or mavericks? least can use it still with that... 😟

So sad, DVD STUDIO PRO won't launch in High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.