Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 11 arbitrary reloads

After upgrading to Safari 11, I am finding it reloads web pages based on its own opinion as to how much memory or "energy" the web page consumes.

"This web page has been reloaded because it was consuming significant memory"

"This web page has been reloaded because it was using significant energy"

Is there a way to control this behavior? I'd like to keep my own counsel on how much memory or "energy" is acceptable. I've been kicked out of productive sessions on more than one occasion thanks to Safari's new and seemingly arbitrary limits. This is aggravating.

And I don't even know why Safari is concerned about my energy consumption; I am on an iMac, not a notebook. I do have a UPS hooked up but geez Safari. Get a clue.

Posted on Oct 11, 2017 11:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2017 12:47 AM

My partner has a MacBook Air with 8gb ram and is persistently getting the ‘significant memory’ error in Safari on Facebook web games. I’ve tried everything from clearing the cache, clearing PRAM to a complete reinstall of the operating system. I have seen a few instances of this issue occurring online but no clear fixes. I’m beginning to convince myself it’s something beyond a user fix.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2017 12:47 AM in response to JOHN ALBERGO

My partner has a MacBook Air with 8gb ram and is persistently getting the ‘significant memory’ error in Safari on Facebook web games. I’ve tried everything from clearing the cache, clearing PRAM to a complete reinstall of the operating system. I have seen a few instances of this issue occurring online but no clear fixes. I’m beginning to convince myself it’s something beyond a user fix.

Oct 30, 2017 7:59 AM in response to nalead

See if a reset helps.

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History…. The down side is it clears all cookies. Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db and move it to the trash.

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions and turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Safari Corruption See post by Linc Davis

Safari Reset

Jan 1, 2018 9:23 AM in response to Eric Root

I am replying to you because I can't find a way to simply reply to the thread.

I purchased my Air less than 6 months ago.

I use it only as a backup since my MBP can't be fixed (recall situation I was not notified about).

I am constantly getting this message about reload due to using significant memory and I have never received it with any of my other computers.

I have 8 GB RAM. I notice it when I am on most any news page, youtube or something like Bored Panda.

It is really aggravating and should not be happening with a new computer.

I don't want to clear all my history and start over getting it used to me, but will give it a try, but I read here that doing all that didn't help others.

I bought this computer because my MBP was crashing, this is almost as bad.

I hope I don't find out too late on the AIR that it is a recall that I again miss out on.

Getting very disillusioned with APPLE.

Guess I'll have to take them all into the APPLE store for repair.

Snowbouv

Jan 24, 2018 1:48 AM in response to tygb

You're just throwing out random advice without understanding the problem. Etrecheck will do nothing to help this problem. It's not malware, anti virus, cleaners, or an unknown app.

Safari has decided that when a page is consuming "too much" energy that the right thing to do is to kill that page's process and replace it with a message saying it needs to be reloaded.

What we're looking for is way to decide for ourselves what "too much" is. But there isn't a way. It's extremely annoying for anyone who needs a page's process to continue its work.

Safari 11 arbitrary reloads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.