Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C ports not working equally

I recently traded my 2011 MBP for a 2017 MBP 13" No Touch Bar. I bought an all-in-one hub to connect to my monitor (VGA) and to connect my USB mouse and Seagate drive.

Initially I always used the front (closer to the user) of the two USB-C ports. However, today, my MBP was not recognizing the seagate drive. I thought it was an issue with the drive or the hub. But then, I switched the hub to the other USB-C port and everything worked just fine. I wonder if this is a normal issue and the two ports are different, or if this signifies and underlying hardware issue. My computer is brand-new so I'm a little alarmed by this incongruity.

Thanks!

SCL

MacBook Pro, iOS 11.0.3

Posted on Oct 11, 2017 8:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2017 6:39 PM

I recently start to having this issue also.

I have a 2017 MacBook Pro 13 without Touch Bar and use both USC-C to USB adapter and and the USB-C multi VGA, USB, USB-C adapter. All of them stoped to work. The VGA monitor detects the input signals but don't display anything. Same way the USB adapter is able to power source the hard drive but it doesn't initialize. I can charge on both MBP USB-C ports and through the multi adapter.

Tried to upgrade to upgrade to 10.13.2 with no luck. I've also tried to reset the SMC and NVRAM as said in other places. Nothing helps... Anyont had a solution for that?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2017 6:39 PM in response to scl8713

I recently start to having this issue also.

I have a 2017 MacBook Pro 13 without Touch Bar and use both USC-C to USB adapter and and the USB-C multi VGA, USB, USB-C adapter. All of them stoped to work. The VGA monitor detects the input signals but don't display anything. Same way the USB adapter is able to power source the hard drive but it doesn't initialize. I can charge on both MBP USB-C ports and through the multi adapter.

Tried to upgrade to upgrade to 10.13.2 with no luck. I've also tried to reset the SMC and NVRAM as said in other places. Nothing helps... Anyont had a solution for that?

Nov 16, 2017 9:22 AM in response to scl8713

I've had very similar problems lately... only the left side USB isn't working. The one in the rear won't charge nor recognize ports. The one in the front will only charge.

Ran diagnostic at authorized dealer... nothing found.

Tried clean install yesterday... nothing changes.

I've also got this weird longer boot time issue too.

My MBPro was also bought recently (end of Sept.)

Nov 23, 2017 12:05 PM in response to scl8713

I have the same problem. One Lacie Porsche desktop HD Isi recognized, but will often not charge. I have trie different ports, and got a feeling its not dependent on which port it is. I've got a Lacie Porsche mobile as well, which is disconnecting without even moving the MBP.

The issue appeared after upgrading too Mac OS High Sierra. There was no such issue with Mac OS Sierra.

I've also got a LG 5K display with connection problems after upgrading to High Sierra.

Some software issue... ?

Dec 6, 2017 7:18 PM in response to winhawk757

Just got my MacBook Pro back from the Apple repair... this would be the 2nd time being repaired. The first time was at a local authorized repair shop. Replaced USB-c ports on the left... this didn't fix the problem. So got an appointment at Genius Bar the weekend before Thanksgiving. The Genius Bar guy immediately determined, the machine needed a firmware update, which it was not taking... so to the repair shop, it went.

Since I handed the machine right before Thanksgiving, it probably took longer... but my guess is that the work took about 5 business days(?) According to the invoice I received following was replaced:

- Logic Board

- Top case with battery ANSI keyboard

So it sounds like they replace all the guts?

Because everything was still under warranty, zero charge to me. Otherwise, it would've cost around $480.

So far I haven't found any issue with it... I've been using it for a few days now.

USB-C ports not working equally

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.