Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

special character in filevault

Hello !

Since very recently, in MacOS Sierra and High Sierra special characters "#" and "@" are not recognized to unlock FileVault, though we can activate the accounts with this kind of passwords...

Meaning that we can't login to a session with a password containing this kind of characters from fresh start, but we can if we open another session and then switch !

I did some research and it might only affect non-QWERTY keyboard. In French keyboards we have these 2 characters on the same key...

Is this a known issue ? This is very annoying, we might have to change admin password for dozens of Macs...

Thanks in advance for your help

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Oct 12, 2017 1:53 AM

6 replies

Oct 13, 2017 1:39 AM in response to Aliecom

I have news !

Like I suspected it's related to French AZERTY keyboards. I just tested with a QWERTY and I don't have the issue.

It means that somehow the upper left key on AZERTY keyboards doesn't work to unlock FileVault, since a few weeks.

This is a pretty serious bug, is there somewhere we can fill it ? Or do Apple engineers sometimes check this threads to see if there are problems worth creating a bug report ?

Thanks

Oct 13, 2017 1:41 AM in response to Aliecom

I have news !

Like I suspected it's related to French AZERTY keyboards. I just tested with a QWERTY and I don't have the issue.

It means that somehow the upper left key on AZERTY keyboards doesn't work to unlock FileVault, since a few weeks.

This is a pretty serious bug, is there somewhere we can fill it ? Or do Apple engineers sometimes check this threads to see if there are problems worth creating a bug report ?

Thanks

Oct 13, 2017 2:03 AM in response to Aliecom

I have news !

Thanks

special character in filevault

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.