Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Calculator app is stuck remembering the same value after update to High Sierra

My Calculator app is stuck remembering the same value (9,600) after update to High Sierra

Anybody know how to fix it?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Oct 12, 2017 12:34 PM

18 replies

Jan 4, 2018 9:54 AM in response to chrisholden84

I can only advise you not to rely on this Calculator "widget" from the Notification center.

Much better alternatives (IMHO):

a) use the "real" Calculator application (the one in your Applications folder)

b) use Spotlight (extremely handy, you can even type the expressions, save them on a text file, copy and paste, etc)

c) use a Service like "CalcService". It can be applied to any arithmetic expression written as text in any application

d) use another calculator, like the already mentioned PCalc

I often use a), b) or c), depending on the circumstances, but most often I just go with Spotlight: type command-space then type whatever expression I need, like: 5% * 1829 (here the comma is the decimal separator, set in the international preferences)

User uploaded file

Oct 13, 2017 5:36 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

example #1:

i open calc app or widget and see 9,600 instead 0

i reset to 0 and make my calculations, for example 2+2=4 after i close app or widget

when next time i open calc i see 9,600 instead of 4, or 0 in case if push AC after all calculations before closing

so i can't make any calculations with previous sums after app or widget was closed

example #2:

sometimes (around 5-10% from all calculations) when i press = i get 9,600

new example #3 with incorrect calculations:

10+50-10*2=40

Oct 13, 2017 6:50 AM in response to -serge-

new example #3 with incorrect calculations:

10+50-10*2=40

I may not be able to help you the other issues, by this one is NOT incorrect.

That is how mathematical operations work. Basic rules of arithmetic.

Multiplications and divisions have higher priority than additions and subtractions.

If you want to do multiplication last, use parentheses.

(10+50-10)*2=100

10+50-10*2 = 10+50-(10*2) = 40

Jan 4, 2018 8:35 AM in response to -serge-

I have this exact same problem and it makes the Calculator app unusable on High Sierra. I updated both my iMac and MacBook, and both were stuck on the original value before the upgrade took place.

I followed the advice to clear the "com.apple.ncplugin.calculator.plist" file from /Library/Containers, which blanks the readout on the calculator to 0, but the problem persists. It now just reverts to 0 on the read out.

It's infuriating. You can be mid-way through a long calculation, only to have it blank when you next refer to it.

Such a basic feature. It's really incredible it hasn't been picked up before release, or even now, that a software update hasn't been made to solve this bug after many many months and numerous OS bug fixes. Getting tired of waiting for it to be acknowledged by the wider community and more so by Apple themselves.

Jan 4, 2018 9:15 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

No, I use the Calculator App that's pinned into the Notifications Centre, sliding it from the right to reveal.

Entering a calculation, sliding to hide the notification centre, then sliding again to reveal and add to the ongoing calculation. I can literally see the calculation blank before the notification centre fully slides open again.

It wasn't an issue in previous MacOS'

I think its a notification centre bug, causing the calculator to re-set on opening, or revert to it's last known value when High Sierra was originally installed.

I haven't tried to use the standalone Calculator app, but I will, because the Notification Centre Calculator app is useless with this bug present.

Jan 4, 2018 9:26 AM in response to dialabrain

Seem's fairly mad to have a calculator "zero out" mid way through a calculation. Maybe Apple OS designers don't make any numerical calculations at all.

I can even enter the next function (+, x,/, -) to pre-empt the figure that will be entered next, and when I come to enter the next figure, I see the Notification Centre Calculator blank and revert to zero.

No-one in their right mind would practically design a calculator that fights against it's users inputs.

I'll take your advice and look at 3rd party options. Many thanks.

My Calculator app is stuck remembering the same value after update to High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.