You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I still use the Apple Watch GPS + Cellular even if I never connect it to my cellular provider and used it as a regular Apple Watch GPS?

Can I still use the Apple Watch GPS + Cellular even if I never connect it to my cellular provider and used it as a regular Apple Watch GPS?

Posted on Oct 12, 2017 1:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2017 4:57 PM

Hi

Yes, you can.

Without a compatible service plan from a supported carrier, you will not be able to use the built-in cellular feature.

However, Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) models can still be paired, set up and used for other features without activating the cellular feature, offering the same functionality as GPS-only models. The cellular feature can be enabled later, if and when you are using a compatible service plan on your iPhone.

Some differences between Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) and (GPS + Cellular) models that you may find it helpful to note include that Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) models:

• Have double the storage capacity of Series 3 GPS-only models.
  • Have a ceramic back (vs a composite back for GPS-only models).
  • Include options for Stainless Steel and Space Black Stainless Steel cases (all GPS-only models are aluminium).
  • Stainless Steel and ceramic (Edition) case models also have a sapphire crystal (vs Ion-X Glass).

Note that Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) requires an iPhone 6 or newer model of iPhone running the latest version of iOS (vs GPS-only models, which require an iPhone 5s or newer model):

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

More information:

Buy Apple Watch Series 3 - Apple

Apple Watch - Compare - Apple

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 12, 2017 4:57 PM in response to tomiboi

Hi

Yes, you can.

Without a compatible service plan from a supported carrier, you will not be able to use the built-in cellular feature.

However, Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) models can still be paired, set up and used for other features without activating the cellular feature, offering the same functionality as GPS-only models. The cellular feature can be enabled later, if and when you are using a compatible service plan on your iPhone.

Some differences between Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) and (GPS + Cellular) models that you may find it helpful to note include that Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) models:

• Have double the storage capacity of Series 3 GPS-only models.
  • Have a ceramic back (vs a composite back for GPS-only models).
  • Include options for Stainless Steel and Space Black Stainless Steel cases (all GPS-only models are aluminium).
  • Stainless Steel and ceramic (Edition) case models also have a sapphire crystal (vs Ion-X Glass).

Note that Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) requires an iPhone 6 or newer model of iPhone running the latest version of iOS (vs GPS-only models, which require an iPhone 5s or newer model):

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

More information:

Buy Apple Watch Series 3 - Apple

Apple Watch - Compare - Apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.