Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make fans stop working so much?

Hi,

the fans of my mid 2016 macbook pro spin at max if I am watching youtube videos.

Have tried everything from reinstall the system, or smc reset but still no solution.

Any advice?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 10.3.2

Posted on Oct 12, 2017 12:40 PM

13 replies

Oct 15, 2017 7:43 AM in response to tjk

I am still working on this issue...

What was done so far:

- SMC reset

- System reinstall (high sierra)

- Hardware test at an authorized store (not apple) - even the girl from there could not believe that such machine has to use the fans at full throttle with youtube videos.

Maybe the mac cannot handle too many scripts running.After investigating a bit seems like the system will assign each available core to handle each chrome tab:

How can we avoid this? Or how can we configure/adjust chrome settings?

Am I the only one with this issue?

User uploaded file

and normally when looking at the activity monitor, the process using more cpu is the kernel_task.

I am running out of options

Oct 22, 2017 9:21 AM in response to tjk

with safari things are better...

As soon I start chrome it start to warm up very much, and btw, every chrome extension will count as a process for the CPU... also detected that onedrive for mac also makes it warm too much.

I have to find a solution to have chrome back; I am used to it, it is faster, I can translate any page with right click, login with my gmail account, sync all my stuff between different machines and all that chrome offers.

How to make fans stop working so much?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.