Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Must Login Twice ?

Every time I restart my Mac login screen popped up and I give my password(old password). After that successfully login, login screen pops again and this time I write my password(that I changed to new) again to log in properly. I looked up this issue but couldn't find a solution.

It happens on Sierra and High Sierra

Posted on Oct 13, 2017 1:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2017 12:25 PM

I think what is happening is that the first password screen is from the preboot environment (before the encryption of the HDD is released), then the main OS boots (you see the progress bar) and finally you log in to the main OS.

Somehow your password as known to the preboot environment did not get changed when you updated your password in the main OS. As such the preboot OS is not able to log you into the main OS once it is booted as it does not know the new password.

I'm not certain of the solution, but I'd start troubleshooting by resetting my OS 'new' password to the old one.

Check that you can log in with just one password

Then change your password back to the new password (or another one). Hopefully that will write both 'preboot' and 'main os' copies of the password.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2017 12:25 PM in response to egrimo

I think what is happening is that the first password screen is from the preboot environment (before the encryption of the HDD is released), then the main OS boots (you see the progress bar) and finally you log in to the main OS.

Somehow your password as known to the preboot environment did not get changed when you updated your password in the main OS. As such the preboot OS is not able to log you into the main OS once it is booted as it does not know the new password.

I'm not certain of the solution, but I'd start troubleshooting by resetting my OS 'new' password to the old one.

Check that you can log in with just one password

Then change your password back to the new password (or another one). Hopefully that will write both 'preboot' and 'main os' copies of the password.

Oct 13, 2017 11:59 AM in response to egrimo

Hello egrimo,

Are you using FileVault? Is this a real login display or is it asking for your keychain password?

If you are using FileVault and this is a true login dialog, then go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > FileVault and see if there is a button at the bottom to enable users to login to the device. Click it and follow the instructions.

If this is a keychain issue, you just might need to change the password on your keychain. In some environments, especially workplaces using Windows networks, changing your password might not reset your keychain password as it should. If that is the case, then you will need to manually change the keychain password.

Must Login Twice ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.