Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

watch series 3 heart rate problem

My new watch series 3 is not as good getting my actual heart rate as my series 2 watch. How can this be? Are there production tolerances or does it have to do with watchOS 4?

Worst heart rate recognition is during outdoor walk. Sometimes the watch doesnt get enough data to print a heart rate diagram after a walk of half an hour.

My impression is that the heart rate measurement during workout is not as good as the heartrate app. When I dont get an value after 10 minutes walking with workout app, I start the heart reate app and then I get in most cases in a few seconds a value.

Has anybody else recognized this behaviour?

Thanks & Regards!

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 4.0.1, null

Posted on Oct 13, 2017 3:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2017 4:30 AM

Hi

Apple has not advised of any changes to heart rate sensor design or performance for Series 3 vs Series 2 models or under watchOS 4.x vs watchOS 3.x.

Apple advises that, even under ideal conditions, Apple Watch may not be able to record a reliable heart rate reading every time for everybody.

For the best performance from the heart rate sensor during workouts, ensure that you wear your watch snugly (but not too tightly) on the top of your wrist. Apple suggests that you consider tightening the band before starting a workout and loosening it again afterwards.

The sensor is likely to give better results for workouts that involve rhythmic (eg running) rather than irregular (eg boxing) movements. Other issues that can impact sensor performance include skin perfusion and wrist tattoos:

Your heart rate. What it means, and where on Apple Watch you’ll find it. - Apple Support

For any workouts that involve flexing your wrists (such as when lifting weights, for example), it may help to move your watch a little higher up your arm, away from the flexing joint.

It may also help to check that the back of your Apple Watch and your wrist are clean:

Cleaning your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If you continue to experience issues with recording your heart rate during workouts, then, for more consistent readings, you may wish to consider pairing an external heart rate monitor / Bluetooth chest strap to your Apple Watch:

Use Bluetooth accessories with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If you are concerned about a possible hardware defect with your Apple Watch, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

Apple Watch Service Answer Center - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2017 4:30 AM in response to matt_max

Hi

Apple has not advised of any changes to heart rate sensor design or performance for Series 3 vs Series 2 models or under watchOS 4.x vs watchOS 3.x.

Apple advises that, even under ideal conditions, Apple Watch may not be able to record a reliable heart rate reading every time for everybody.

For the best performance from the heart rate sensor during workouts, ensure that you wear your watch snugly (but not too tightly) on the top of your wrist. Apple suggests that you consider tightening the band before starting a workout and loosening it again afterwards.

The sensor is likely to give better results for workouts that involve rhythmic (eg running) rather than irregular (eg boxing) movements. Other issues that can impact sensor performance include skin perfusion and wrist tattoos:

Your heart rate. What it means, and where on Apple Watch you’ll find it. - Apple Support

For any workouts that involve flexing your wrists (such as when lifting weights, for example), it may help to move your watch a little higher up your arm, away from the flexing joint.

It may also help to check that the back of your Apple Watch and your wrist are clean:

Cleaning your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If you continue to experience issues with recording your heart rate during workouts, then, for more consistent readings, you may wish to consider pairing an external heart rate monitor / Bluetooth chest strap to your Apple Watch:

Use Bluetooth accessories with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If you are concerned about a possible hardware defect with your Apple Watch, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

Apple Watch Service Answer Center - Apple Support

Jan 3, 2018 8:03 AM in response to walraven

Yesterday I was running on the treadmill and my Apple Watch Series 3 was accurately tracking at 130 bpm. As I was still running it suddenly dropped to 86 bpm for no apparent reason. Everyone I have spoken with who has the Apple Watch Series 3 has said they have similar issues with the heart rate app. Some have said they also use another device to compensate.

I have also had similar trouble with the exercise app ring not moving. Yesterday I worked out for well over an hour, doing both cardio and resistance training and the exercise ring barely moved. This has been the norm. I have tightened the band during workouts and worn the watch in different positions on my wrist but haven't noticed any change yet.

I do think it's kinda lame for Apple to suggest that we use a separate heart monitor instead of addressing the obvious problems with the Series 3 watch. Because they seem unwilling I can't recommend the Apple Series 3 watch. My advice would be to either stick with the series 2 or wait for the series 4.

Feb 7, 2018 3:41 AM in response to matt_max

matt_max,

While some on the support portal provide the standard, "Apple advises..." writeup, there is a problem with the sensors. Some of us have been tracking this for some time and have collected a lot of data. Apple's support site and genius' tell us we are wearing the watch incorrectly. The Apple support site tells us that rhythmic movement of the arm such as running, jogging, or biking is best as compared to unrhythmic movements such as tennis or boxing are not good and my cause incorrect readings. Apple's support site tells you that the watch takes a reading every three minutes, which is also incorrect. So, Apple has done a great job marketing this device as a tool to monitor your health, but it does not always correctly work.

Several of us have noticed that the watch usually works under normal walk around the room conditions, but the minute you conduct any type of high rhythmic exercise, the watch stops recording heart rate. My watch, which is a Series 3 with the cellular capacity, will record my heart rate while walking, sleeping, and sitting at the office. When I do any physical activity which raises my heart rate such as running on the treadmill, then it stops recording. Now, that I have said that, some will tell you that the watch will not work in treadmill workouts, but the funny thing is, is that on a handful of occasions I have gotten the watch to record....so it will do it.

I had screenshots of the periods of no readings, along with screenshots of the correct reads. I sent the watch and screen shots to Apple. Apple sent it back and said there is nothing wrong and that I am just wearing it incorrectly.

<Edited by Host>

Feb 12, 2018 9:14 AM in response to matt_max

Hi matt_max -

I've had the same issue ever since I first got the Apple Watch series 3.

Really disappointed as I mainly bought it to replace my needing to wear a Polar H7 chest strap during my workouts. I knew it would probably not be quite as accurate being on my wrist, but I had no idea how truly inconsistent and inaccurate it would be. For me, my biggest issue is doing any type of training that includes intervals. Using my Polar strap, I'd see the spikes align with those extra exertion periods. With my Apple Watch, I only sometimes see my HR increase on the screen, and even then, it's very delayed (>1 min after I stop that high-intensity stuff). It's frustrating for two reasons: 1) I can't see how my HR is measured during those intense intervals to correctly gauge if I'm pushing as much as I want to and 2) after the fact, when I want to look back on my workout, the numbers aren't reliable and the timeframes are all off.

I brought my watch to the genius bar a few months ago, with this complaint, and they basically said diagnostics report showed nothing wrong with my watch. I tried wearing it all different ways and haven't had any luck, sadly. I'll probably just go back to my Polar strap, but definitely feel duped by Apple this time around.

Mar 28, 2018 3:58 AM in response to Razoirarc

I have the same problem with all my Apple Watch so far. I had a S2 that Was trade in warranty because of this problem, but it didn’t work either. I sold it, I bough a S3 thinking the fast processor would solve the problem, but I was wrong, and the same thing happen in S3.

This feature doesn’t work at all on Apple Watch, and i think it is a software problem, not the device

watch series 3 heart rate problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.