Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K HDR Passthrough Not Working with Denon AVR-X7200WA

The Apple TV 4K arrived this week and I cannot get it to work in HDR mode with my Denon AVR-X7200WA A/V receiver. I get the "We switched your TV to its previous format. You may need to choose "Ultra" or "Deep" color settings on your TV, or try a different HDMI Input. Check your TV's User Guide for details." message when trying to enable HDR.

HDR works fine when connecting directly to my TV (LG OLED65G6P) but will not work when passing through the A/V Receiver. All HDMI Inputs and Outputs are HDCP 2.2 compatible and I've upgraded the receiver to the latest firmware. My 4k HDR Blu Ray player works fine and it's not the HDMI cables.

Any suggestions?

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Oct 13, 2017 6:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2017 6:32 PM

I found the solution after digging deep into the Denon Setup menus and the LG OLED menus. First I enabled HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color on one of the LG HDMI inputs. That made the Apple TV 4k work through the Denon A/V receiver, but consequently caused all the other sources hooked up to the receiver not to work. If I pulled the HDMI cable and hooked it up to a non enabled Ultra HD Deep Color HDMI input, the other devices worked, but the Apple TV did not. Finally, I went into the Denon receiver and after much back-and-forth trials, the key was to go to the Video|Output Settings menu and enable Video Conversion with "Resolution (HDMI)" set to Auto. If it's set to anything else, the setup will not work.

Now the Apple TV 4K and all other devices work seamlessly though the Denon receiver and the Apple TV is outputting 4k and HDR with no issues.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2017 6:32 PM in response to wubears71

I found the solution after digging deep into the Denon Setup menus and the LG OLED menus. First I enabled HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color on one of the LG HDMI inputs. That made the Apple TV 4k work through the Denon A/V receiver, but consequently caused all the other sources hooked up to the receiver not to work. If I pulled the HDMI cable and hooked it up to a non enabled Ultra HD Deep Color HDMI input, the other devices worked, but the Apple TV did not. Finally, I went into the Denon receiver and after much back-and-forth trials, the key was to go to the Video|Output Settings menu and enable Video Conversion with "Resolution (HDMI)" set to Auto. If it's set to anything else, the setup will not work.

Now the Apple TV 4K and all other devices work seamlessly though the Denon receiver and the Apple TV is outputting 4k and HDR with no issues.

Apple TV 4K HDR Passthrough Not Working with Denon AVR-X7200WA

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.