Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 1st gen doest't appear in iTunes

Hi,

I have the problem that my apple tv 1st gen 160 GB doesn't appear in the device list of iTunes any more. I used the Apple TV with no problems but for a week I can't sync my photos any more.

I use an iMac late 2009 with mac OS High Sierra and iTunes 12.7.0.116. The Apple TV has the latest Software 3.0.2.

I already tried all the steps in this Troubleshooting instruction but with no succes:

• I restarted iTunes

• I reinstalled iTunes

• I connected Apple TV and iMac via Ethernet AND Wifi

• I tried watching trailers on Apple TV and it worked, so it has internet access

• I don't use firewall

• I unplugged power cords of Apple TV, iMac and network router and started the devices again

The interesting thing is that I can connect from iTunes to Apple TV via AirTunes and I can stream music. When I open Preferences > Computer on Apple TV I can see that it is connected to my iTunes library.

But Apple TV still doesn't appear and I can't sync any photos.

Can anybody help me? Thanks a lot!

Franz

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13), Late 2009

Posted on Oct 13, 2017 6:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2017 11:51 AM

FancyFranz wrote:

Could it be that the latest iTunes version just doesn't support the 1st generation any more? Or does anybody have other tips?

Unless anyone has found a solution this inference seems correct as many others have seen the same thing.

I don't have access to a generation 1 AppleTV currently to test with latest iTunes but I've not updated that for a variety of reasons.

The biggest change in current iTunes is that it removed the iOS App Store which many of us were annoyed about.

There is a relatively unknown iTunes version it might be worth trying here, or alternatively try to install an older version.

Deploy apps in a business environment with iTunes - Apple Support

Apple - Support - Downloads

Downgrading iTunes can be fiddly so Google for a good way of doing so.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2017 11:51 AM in response to FancyFranz

FancyFranz wrote:

Could it be that the latest iTunes version just doesn't support the 1st generation any more? Or does anybody have other tips?

Unless anyone has found a solution this inference seems correct as many others have seen the same thing.

I don't have access to a generation 1 AppleTV currently to test with latest iTunes but I've not updated that for a variety of reasons.

The biggest change in current iTunes is that it removed the iOS App Store which many of us were annoyed about.

There is a relatively unknown iTunes version it might be worth trying here, or alternatively try to install an older version.

Deploy apps in a business environment with iTunes - Apple Support

Apple - Support - Downloads

Downgrading iTunes can be fiddly so Google for a good way of doing so.

Oct 15, 2017 9:21 AM in response to Alley_Cat

Thanks a lot for your helpful answer!

I downloaded iTunes 12.6.3 following these steps and this solved my problem. Now apple TV appears in the device list. There's only one strange thing: With this iTunes version you can't sync photos any more without syncing your whole iTunes library including movies, music, etc. If you have a big library this could be a problem. But streaming photos and music works perfectly fine!

Oct 14, 2017 10:01 AM in response to Rudegar

Hey Rudegar, thanks for your answer!

I followed your advice and unpaired apple TV from my iTunes-Library. But except that now all my pictures on apple TV are deleted, nothing changed. I tried to repair it but it didn't work. I also reset the whole apple TV and configured the network again. No succes. Apple TV tells me to enter the shown number code in iTunes on my mac. But I'm not able to enter the code because apple TV still doesn't appear in the device list.

Apple TV 1st gen doest't appear in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.