Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot get my Apple TV to output Dolby digital audio

I got my new Apple TV and hooked it up. The HDMI cable goes to my Pioneer surround sound Dolby 5.1 receiver. I have the Apple TV audio settings set for Dolby 5.1. Every source on the Apple TV I've tried is only outputting stereo. I've tried HBO movies that I *know* are Dolby, but my Pioneer receiver says "stereo" on the front panel. Every other device I have which includes an Amazon Firestick, Xfinity X1 cable box, Sony DVD player will output Dolby. When I select one of these sources my Pioneer will display "Digital" on the front panel and I will indeed hear surround sound. When I switch the input on the Pioneer receiver to Apple TV the Pioneer display switches to "stereo" and I only hear audio out of two front speakers! This isn't right! Note: I replaced an Apple TV 3rd generation with this newer 4th generation unit. When I hook back up the 3rd generation Apple TV I get surround sound, the display on the Pioneer receiver says "digital". So, What is going on???? HELP!!

Posted on Oct 13, 2017 4:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2017 5:15 PM

When you say you know the HBO movie has Dolby, is that because it worked ok on previous ATV?

Streaming services won't always provide DD with a stream even if other devices do offer the stream with DD.

Many if not all itunes movie previews are stereo and don't give DD.

Don't suppose you have an iTunes purchased movie with DD to test - maybe consider a cheap rental to test it - don't have HBO app in UK so don't know if you may be able to choose stereo vs surround in that app, but iTunes movies will have a drop down to choose subtitles/audio track.

I don't know your Pioneer model, but it may have an input setting for HDMI audio - this might need to be configured.

Audio on AppleTV is a moving goalpost and things have changed a lot since ATV 4 came out, they are clearly taking it a bit more seriously but I suspect few of us really like the DD re-encoding which is used to merge in system sounds etc.

Have you tried the best quality available audio setting? It might just work if the Pioneer can understand linear PCM (assuming this is not just for iTunes purchases/rentals).

Surround sound settings on your Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation) - Apple Support

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2017 5:15 PM in response to markcooperstein

When you say you know the HBO movie has Dolby, is that because it worked ok on previous ATV?

Streaming services won't always provide DD with a stream even if other devices do offer the stream with DD.

Many if not all itunes movie previews are stereo and don't give DD.

Don't suppose you have an iTunes purchased movie with DD to test - maybe consider a cheap rental to test it - don't have HBO app in UK so don't know if you may be able to choose stereo vs surround in that app, but iTunes movies will have a drop down to choose subtitles/audio track.

I don't know your Pioneer model, but it may have an input setting for HDMI audio - this might need to be configured.

Audio on AppleTV is a moving goalpost and things have changed a lot since ATV 4 came out, they are clearly taking it a bit more seriously but I suspect few of us really like the DD re-encoding which is used to merge in system sounds etc.

Have you tried the best quality available audio setting? It might just work if the Pioneer can understand linear PCM (assuming this is not just for iTunes purchases/rentals).

Surround sound settings on your Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation) - Apple Support

Oct 13, 2017 6:41 PM in response to Alley_Cat

Please Alley_Cat, I've read your other replies..You seem to know a lot about this matter. I however do not. I only know that the audio from my ATV 4 isn't right. So, my question, and please forgive if it sounds stupid. I don't know how to set my Pioneer to get the Dolby signal so that I can have surround sound again. Before, with my ATV 3 I didn't have to do anything, my Pioneer AV receiver (VSX 1021K) would just work. Now with my ATV4 it only outputs stereo. There's probably a setting on my Pioneer to change but this neophyte doesn't know what! Can you make suggestions?

Oct 16, 2017 5:24 PM in response to Alley_Cat

I have discovered some things about my ATV4. It does indeed output digital *if* the program source is in Dolby. Duhh! I assumed that everything that normally I used previously on ATV3 as well as my Amazon FireStick would also be Dolby on ATV4. This is not the case. For example, I have the DirecTV NOW app loaded on my ATV4. NONE of the channels on DirecTV NOW output anything but stereo. I get over 100 channels on DirecTV NOW including HBO. For some reason either the app was written to use stereo audio only or the ATV4 doesn't work right with it. Now for the kicker.. I rented an iTunes movie that I know is digital Dolby. As soon as the movie starts on the ATV4, I hear a "click" on my Pioneer AVR, the front panel switches to "Dolby Digital", or "PCM" (see explanation below) and lo and behold I get surround sound.

If I play a source like a iTunes movie, or a Netflix movie, my Pioneer will switch from "stereo" to "PCM" once the movie starts and it indicates surround sound (also verified by sound from all speakers) and the Pioneer will say "PCM" *IF* I set the ATV4 surround sound settings to "best quality available". So, it does work. In contrast, if I set the ATV4 surround sound setting to "Dolby 5.1" my Pioneer then says "Dolby Digital" on the front panel once the movie starts. In either case, it seems that with the right source it does give me surround sound.

Mark

Oct 27, 2017 7:50 PM in response to markcooperstein

I have a somewhat similar issue. First, it’s imperative that you establish the the content was produced in Dolby Digital. Virtually ALL Netflix and Amazon Prime TV shows are fully supported in Dolby Digital. My situation is odd in that when I select “Dolby 5.1“ that’s precisely what I get...UNLESS of course I’m watching an older HBO show like Curb Your Enthusiasm that was created in 2.0 Stereo. On most good preamps or receivers you can choose to deploy a type of “simulated“ multi-channel but it sounds lousy.

On the other hand when I select “Best Available” I ALWAYS get PCM 5.1. That shouled NOT be the case but IS. I spent 1.5 hours with a Sr. Level Apple tech and he was confounded as well. Took copious notes and I sent him screenshots as my web browser ties to my Krell Foundation IP address and I get ALL relevant data on my iPad. I ha e a Roku device and both the Roku and the ATV are hooked up to the Krell via high quality HDMI cables. I stream Roku in higher quality Dolby Digital Plus which sounds better than Dolby 5.1. FAR better. Fuller and more natural. ATV is supposed to deliver this format but in my case can only output PCM 5.1, Dolby Digital 5.1 or Stereo.

Does anyone have a clue what the issue might be? I had the ATV 4th Gen and was likewise never presented with the option to enjoy Dolby Digital Plus. It’s not an issue with my preamp, quite sure, as this box will support ANYTHING I throw at it from an audio perspective - except Atmos. My OPPO Blu-Ray supports DTS Master Audio 5.1, True HD, Dolby Digital 5.1 and of course DTS Surround. It’s only the ATV that’s misbehaving. 😎

Thanks!

Dec 11, 2017 9:14 AM in response to markcooperstein

Me too. My setup is a little different than yours however. I have an older Sony receiver which doesn't do HDMI. I bought an AvAccess Audio Extractor (Amazon) which gives me a coaxial audio signal as it passes the HDMI through to my TV. I know this box works because I get 5.1 (DTS even) when I drive it with my BluRay player.

With the AppleTV-4K, I never get anything other than Linear PCM, even when I've forced the AppleTV to output Dolby Digital 5.1 (in Settings). Pretty much the only source I've tried is movies on Amazon Prime App. I guess this could be a bug in that new App. I don't have a streaming-netflix account so can't try that.

It sounds like this may be a bug in the AppleTV hardware of software. I hope they find a fix.

Jan 25, 2018 1:13 AM in response to markcooperstein

I have an Apple TV 4K. I have the Apple TV connected to my TCL 55P605 television by HDMI. I then have an optical cable from the TV to my Yamaha receiver. When playing anything on Itunes and Vudu the sound is fine. When I play anything else like FXnow or ABC or any other Tv app I only get stereo sound. I have checked all of the Apple TV audio settings as well as the TV and nothing works. I have my direct tv receiver connected to the TV via HDMI and all of my TV channels out put in Dolby Digital. I hope there is a solution.

Feb 16, 2018 11:28 AM in response to markcooperstein

I was having same symptoms, but I've convinced myself that the source makes the difference between Dolby 5.1 and PCM. I bought a movie from iTunes as a test. It was Dunkirk, 4K HDR and Dolby sound. When ATV is set to Audio as Best Available, I only get PCM sound. But when I force it to Dolby 5.1 I get NICE surround sound on my system. Onkyo TX-NR636.

Netflix app on ATV gives me Dolby as well. NBCSN app (watching the Olympics) only gives me PCM. But of course if I watch the NBCSN channel from Spectrum on my TiVo i get Dolby. I've concluded the Apps suck for sound.

Cheers.

Feb 17, 2018 5:47 AM in response to rmcewin

On an HDMI-connected receiver like that, PCM should give you surround-sound as well, although the receiver won’t indicate that it’s decoding anything because the decoding was already done in the ATV. If what you hear isn’t surround-sound with PCM (when that same source gives you surround when set to Dolby) then ATV isn’t working as designed.

I cannot get my Apple TV to output Dolby digital audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.