Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error: selected disk MBR partition table, EFI system only GPT disk

hi!

i wanted to re-create my windows 10 partition on my MBP (mid 2012, 13inch) because i needed more storage. so i followed the boot camp assistent (deleting the old partition and creating the new one). after my mac restarted i got a black screen with a flashing line. after some time still nothing happend so i shut it down and used "efi boot" to boot. now i was able to do the first steps of installing windows. but after i formatted the prepared partition i got this error:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI system, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

i retried the whole process several times but it's always the same.

some further information to my MBP: using a usb flash drive with usb 2.0 for the installation; i have a ssd (250gb) and a hdd (500gb) in my MBP, i'm trying to install windows on the ssd which is also my start volume for macOS (sierra, 10.12.6)

in this post https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6864047?answerId=27784533022#27784533022 somebody has the same problem and the reason is described but i don't know how to solve the problem.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Oct 14, 2017 12:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2017 2:51 PM

Your Mac does not support EFI Boot. You need to use the Windows icon on the USB installer.

Also, two disks are not supported in a 2012 MBP, you will need to temporarily disconnect the disk in Optibay. Windows disk must be in the main bay and stay in the main disk bay after Windows is installed. Windows will not work properly in the optical bay drive.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2017 2:51 PM in response to rapba

Your Mac does not support EFI Boot. You need to use the Windows icon on the USB installer.

Also, two disks are not supported in a 2012 MBP, you will need to temporarily disconnect the disk in Optibay. Windows disk must be in the main bay and stay in the main disk bay after Windows is installed. Windows will not work properly in the optical bay drive.

Error: selected disk MBR partition table, EFI system only GPT disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.