Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install iphone apps on ipad in ios 11

How to install iphone apps on ipad in ios 11?

iPad Mini Wi-Fi, iOS 11.0.3

Posted on Oct 14, 2017 6:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2017 7:42 AM

So what App is it? Maybe we can try to find it for you, and give a link you can click directly on your iPad to open it in the App Store App.

Alternatively, you can if you have a recent iPhone, try sharing the app via AirDrop to the iPad.

Press down on the app on your iPhone's home screen until the 3D touch menu appears. One of the options is Share. You can use the AirDrop option and send it over to your iPad.

The iPad should open the App Store App and show you the App. If its not possible to download it on the iPad, the get or price button will be grayed out however.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2017 7:42 AM in response to Kim.Lynge

So what App is it? Maybe we can try to find it for you, and give a link you can click directly on your iPad to open it in the App Store App.

Alternatively, you can if you have a recent iPhone, try sharing the app via AirDrop to the iPad.

Press down on the app on your iPhone's home screen until the 3D touch menu appears. One of the options is Share. You can use the AirDrop option and send it over to your iPad.

The iPad should open the App Store App and show you the App. If its not possible to download it on the iPad, the get or price button will be grayed out however.

Oct 14, 2017 6:43 AM in response to Kim.Lynge

As long as the apps are iPhone-only (e.g. they require full-phone capability) you install them in the same way as any other app e.g. via the Purchased tab in the App Store app if you've previously bought them, or by searching for them in store (and on the search results screen tapping the 'iPad only' button at the top of the screen and selecting 'iPhone only' instead)

Oct 14, 2017 7:53 AM in response to King_Penguin

Well, it seems to be different with IOS 11; App Store has a button marked 'Filter' where you can change 'iPad only' to 'iPhone only'. But this 'Filter' option can't be activated, when App Store reports 'Nothing found', therefore the search can't be done for 'iPhone only'? 😕

Sadly, I had the App earlier on all my units up to IOS 9, but not when my iPads and iPhones were updated to version 11. Am I missing something?

Oct 14, 2017 8:30 AM in response to King_Penguin

App Store doesn't look that way anymore - I can't see any apps not installed on the unit. Earlier it was possible to see anything that had been installed once, but now it seems only to be visible if the app has been updated. And because it's not installed on the unit, it can't be updated either.

In the previous version of iTunes you could manage apps as well, but that's also removed.

Oct 14, 2017 11:36 AM in response to King_Penguin

Hi, so I'm back - tried the iTunes version 12.6.3 (had to uninstall 12.7.0.166 first) - but .itl files were not same version, so I lost 😮 all my Music (~23.000 files), Audio books (more than 16.000 files in 600 books), and Videos (around 1.100 movies and homevideos) in the iTunes library.

Luckily the latest computer backup worked as intended - 😊 so iTunes are restored and running again. Maybe I can find the app file (.ipa) in one of my older backups? If, how do I 'put it back' in my iPad? Can it be done via i.e. Dropbox?

Oct 14, 2017 11:23 PM in response to Kim.Lynge

Installing a different version of iTInes should not have deleted any content (.ipa files etc.) from the computer, and the previous .itl file ( from before updating to 12.7) should also still be on the computer for,you to copy back, it will just have been moved into the Previous folder and had the date of update appended onto its file name.

To put an app back onto the iPad you sync it via iTunes, or if it's still in the store redownload it directly on the iPad via the App Store app.

Oct 15, 2017 6:12 AM in response to King_Penguin

I give up. 😟

No iPhone apps can be found on my iPad in IOS 11 App Store. You can’t activate the filter to show ’iPhone only’ - as soon something is typed in the search field, the filter turns back to show ‘iPad only’.

And in my account, under ‘Bought’ I can only see iPad apps. No iPhone apps. But the app I am missing, can be found on my iPhone, both when searching and in my account. So it exists allright.

By the way, the lost .itl file was lost - not moved to Previous folder. The newest in that folder was more than a month old. So backups can be the solution, sometimes.

But thanks for your time to try to help, even if it didn’t help....

Oct 15, 2017 7:24 AM in response to King_Penguin

Yes - I know, and that is exactly what is not working....

If the search result is ‘Nothing found’ the filter option is disabled, so there are no chance to redo the search with ’iPhone only’. Then a new search, with only a part of the app name will still only show iPad Apps, now it should be possible to activate the filter ‘iPhone only’ - but this new result still only shows iPad apps, as if the iPhone version doesn’t exist in the App Store (but it does, if the search is done on an iPhone).

How to install iphone apps on ipad in ios 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.