Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 and Ford Sync

My dear wife just bought a new iPhone 8 for me last week. It works wonderfully EXCEPT for connecting to my 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid via Bluetooth. Sync recognizes the phone, I can use it to make and receive calls but the audio keeps dropping out to almost inaudible levels. The calls aren't lost, just almost no audio whatsoever, and then without warning, the audio pops back up. It happens at various points of my commute on the Taconic Parkway in the Hudson Valley and never happens when I use the phone outside of the car. I've un-paired and re-paired the iPhone with the car, but that didn't work. I checked to see if there was a software update for the iPhone * and so far, there doesn't appear to be one. I see that people have had this similar problem with the iPhone 7. Is this an ongoing issue with the 8 as well? Thanks in advance!

iPhone 8

Posted on Oct 14, 2017 8:20 AM

6 replies

Oct 15, 2017 5:33 AM in response to Vinny1701

Hi Vinny170,

I understand that you are having audio issues with the new iPhone 8 while connected to your 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid via Bluetooth. I know that it is important to be able to have the audio volume stay consistent while in use. I'll be happy to help you with this. Please review the following article and complete any steps that you haven't already completed.

Get help connecting your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with your car stereo​

If you're using Bluetooth

1. Check your car stereo's user manual for how to pair with a Bluetooth device.
  2. On your iOS device, swipe up to open Control Center, then tapBluetooth icontwice to turn Bluetooth off and back on.
  3. Restart your iOS device.
  4. On your iOS device, unpair your car stereo. On your car's display, unpair your iOS device and any other devices. Restart your car and your iOS device, then pair and connect again.
  5. Update your iOS device.
  6. Install any firmware updates for your car stereo.
  7. If you still can't connect, contact Apple Support.

Let me know how that goes.

Have a good day!

Jan 3, 2018 5:37 PM in response to Bca6987

I’ve been having the same problem with my iPhone 8 as well. I have a 2015 F150 with the my touch radio. One dealer said there was no firmware update for my radio and the problem was with Apple. I wouldn’t accceot this as an answer. I called sync my ride support and they told me there was an update so I called a different dealer and they agreed. I brought my truck in today to have the firmware updated and now my iPhone 8 works perfectly with my truck.

Oct 18, 2017 6:07 PM in response to brenden dv

Thank you so much for your reply. Alas, this isn't the answer. Through process of elimination, it would appear as if Ford needs to provide a software update. My version of Sync doesn't play well with iPhone 7 or 8, it would seem. The Ford website only lists software updates for the iPhone 4, 5 and 6 for my version of Sync. C'est la vie.

Dec 3, 2017 8:28 AM in response to brenden dv

This is an issue for me as well. What I have though is a slightly different manifestation. My 2016 F150 was fine with my iPhone 7. When I upgraded to a Pixel 2 XL the pixel would connect briefly (4-5 seconds), and then disconnect. I dumped the Pixel and went to an iPhone 8 Plus and now it does the same thing. If I connect it to the USB connector, sync gets ill and starts stuttering and having long pauses when pushing buttons on the touch pad.

Help!!!

Dec 16, 2017 6:33 PM in response to Vinny1701

You are correct. The newest versions of Apple Devices supported by Ford Sync is the 6 and 6 plus models. I have not yet seen an update from Ford for the newer phones. I, myself, may make calls with no issues, but I am unable to have my text messages read to me. Sync in my 2014 Mustang tells me that it does not recognize a device that supports text message functions. It is a bummer! I’ll just have to wait for Ford to catch up. Ford has been pouring its attention in the newer Ford Sync 3 cars. Let’s hope we are not forgotten or expected to buy a 2017 or newer vehicle to use our phone functions with Sync.

iPhone 8 and Ford Sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.