Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contact phonetic first name vs pronunciation first name

My iPhone has two options when I press ‘add field’ Phonetic and pronunciation. What’s the difference?

Posted on Oct 14, 2017 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2017 9:05 AM

Nobody knows. Or at least Google doesn't know. One assumes iOS developers know. I believe "Phonetic" is older and that Siri uses it. That works on my wife's last name.

I think "Pronunciation" is a more recent addition. You'd think it would hold a sound field, but it appears to be a text field. When I set the keyboard to use voice entry and said my wife's name iOS just inserted her name (so Siri has learned the sound there).

I wonder if Pronunciation was added because "phonetic" doesn't make sense for non-phonetic languages (ex: Chinese), but somehow we ended up with both.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2017 9:05 AM in response to SnakeDog

Nobody knows. Or at least Google doesn't know. One assumes iOS developers know. I believe "Phonetic" is older and that Siri uses it. That works on my wife's last name.

I think "Pronunciation" is a more recent addition. You'd think it would hold a sound field, but it appears to be a text field. When I set the keyboard to use voice entry and said my wife's name iOS just inserted her name (so Siri has learned the sound there).

I wonder if Pronunciation was added because "phonetic" doesn't make sense for non-phonetic languages (ex: Chinese), but somehow we ended up with both.

Contact phonetic first name vs pronunciation first name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.