Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Maps not working

This past week I updated my iPhone 6 to the most recent iOS 11 update, and ever since then my Apple and google maps have not been working. I put in the address I want to go to and it seems to be working fine until I click “go” it tells me my first step (continue on so&so, make a right at so&so), but the marker doesn’t move. It just stays in the same place even when I myself am moving. I’ve already restarted my location settings and network settings and I’ve even messed with the location, WiFi, and airplane mode toggles. But nothing is happening. Help me please!!

[Re-Titled by Host]

Posted on Oct 14, 2017 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2017 6:18 AM

Hello Talyafaith,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding the after updating your iPhone, Maps won't update your position as you start moving. You've done a great job trying to get this resolved! I'm happy to help.

First, remove and restore the Maps app using the steps in the following link:
Remove built-in Apple apps from the Home screen on your iOS 10 device or Apple Watch

If the issue persists, reinstall iOS with iTunes. This can resolve possible software issues. When reinstalling iOS, iTunes will completely remove your current software and install a fresh version. While iTunes will try to do this without removing data, it's a good idea to make sure you have a recent backup before trying this step.
How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Use the steps in the link below to reinstall iOS with iTunes:
If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Please let us know if the issue continues and include any other troubleshooting steps you may have tried.

Have a great day!
73 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2017 6:18 AM in response to Talyafaith

Hello Talyafaith,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding the after updating your iPhone, Maps won't update your position as you start moving. You've done a great job trying to get this resolved! I'm happy to help.

First, remove and restore the Maps app using the steps in the following link:
Remove built-in Apple apps from the Home screen on your iOS 10 device or Apple Watch

If the issue persists, reinstall iOS with iTunes. This can resolve possible software issues. When reinstalling iOS, iTunes will completely remove your current software and install a fresh version. While iTunes will try to do this without removing data, it's a good idea to make sure you have a recent backup before trying this step.
How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Use the steps in the link below to reinstall iOS with iTunes:
If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Please let us know if the issue continues and include any other troubleshooting steps you may have tried.

Have a great day!

Nov 8, 2017 5:50 AM in response to brenden dv

I will try this, but so far nothing has worked. The location is not correct, then even if I am not moving, the location goes crazy. One minute it will say I am in Ontario, in the middle of the Lake Ontario, the next I am in Quebec City, and it keeps going back and forth. Never had an issue with it until I did the latest update. I got all the new emojis, too bad I can't tell where I am driving too.

Dec 13, 2017 11:28 AM in response to TheRottenApple85

Following this s I’m having the exact same issue. I’ve been in to Apple twice and both times they can’t find anything wrong with my phone but since it’s out of warranty they can’t do anything about it. But they said everything is fine on my phone.

We called my provider and had them reset my settings on their end.

Still nothing and I’ve tried everything listed here.

Dec 14, 2017 1:29 AM in response to Kristyb121

Exact same thing for me- hasn't worked since I updated several weeks ago. Just yesterday I had my provider refresh the network and it did nothing. So what's the next step? If Genius Bar can't help, refreshing the network won't help, and it's been a while since the iOS update happened with still no bug fix, that leaves us with useless GPS. Because it's both Google and Apple Maps not working, wondering is there is some kind of incompatibility issue with the GPS hardware and the iOS update. APPLE- GET ON BOARD AND FIX THIS!!!

Dec 16, 2017 3:12 PM in response to Talyafaith

I have version 11.2.1 on an iPhone 6 and tried everything to no avail. Apple Maps worked fine, but Google Maps always displayed that my destination was always an hour further away than it really was whether I was on Cellular or WiFi in my home. Driving 60 mph, the minutes left to reach my destination though was decrementing every 7 seconds instead of every 60 seconds. What worked for me was uninstalling Google Maps and installing it back.

Dec 24, 2017 8:24 AM in response to Talyafaith

This is why I Dislike updating my iphones to the latest “improved” ios. I have a 6s that i didnt update since I purchased it 2 years ago and it was working fine. Now i HAD to update it because I want to gift it to my Mom as a hand me down since I’m getting a 7. And now the maps dont work and the rest of the “update” seems to suck overall. For all the money Apple has in its bank account this is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE to its customers. How can one of the largest and most succesful tech companies in HISTORY have such horrific software engineers working for them to the degree that an ‘update’ make the ap WORSE??? I think i’ll switch to samsung

Jan 19, 2018 1:54 PM in response to Talyafaith

I’m having the same problem too. After the initial voice prompt telling me to proceed to the highlighted course, the pointer never moves and no further directions are given. However, when I arrive, maps then proudly announces that I have arrived at my location as if I were beamed there by a Star Trek style transporter.

My wife’s iPhone 7+ has no problem, my old iPhone 4S had no problem.

The iPhone 6 never has worked for me, and it ***** because I got a new AppleWatch S3 for Christmas and I can’t use the maps/location function because of this phone issue.

I’ve followed all the network reset, phone reset etc... advise to no avail. I paid cash for the 64GB unlocked phone. It wasn’t cheap. Am I just suppose to chuck in the river now and buy a new one?

Come on Apple, my family has several Apple computers (Mac Pro’s & Laptops), iPads (many), iPhones, Apple Watch’s. I’m the last to get an Apple Watch, and the only one who can’t use this feature.

Jan 25, 2018 2:28 PM in response to crjackson2134

Just got off my 8th or 9th call with Apple Care. last week it was an hour with a supervisor, who said the engineers admitted they knew there was an issue with some people's 6 and 6s but could not resolve it. The supervisor set up an appointment at an Apple store for me so last night I spent an hour there. They told me I had to pay $389 for a new iPhone 6 because they could not resolve my issue. I had them run a diagnostic and it showed that my phone's hardware is perfect, meaning it's a software issue. They set up ANOTHER call with Apple, which I just had. They said that even though my phone is fine I would still have to pay to replace it because it is out of warranty. I use Maps on my iPhone for work as a courier, so I have to have a reliable maps app. I told them they leave me no choice but to choose another manufacturer's phone because there is no way I can risk this happening again. Ridiculous. They had a chance to make a customer happy but instead they lost me.

Jan 31, 2018 3:27 PM in response to Talyafaith

i had same issue with my iPhone actually we had 2 iphones one was 6s and other was 7 and both had same issue how i solved is i put a address on iphone and let it work its was not finding my location but i didnt turned it off and waited after about 20 min its started working fine and then i tried on second iphone it took that phone about 40 to 50 min to become ok but since then they are working fine so try and hopefully you will get sorted

Jan 31, 2018 3:29 PM in response to rishabh1808

i had same issue with my iPhone actually we had 2 iphones one was 6s and other was 7 and both had same issue how i solved is i put a address on iphone and let it work its was not finding my location but i didnt turned it off and waited after about 20 min its started working fine and then i tried on second iphone it took that phone about 40 to 50 min to become ok but since then they are working fine so try and hopefully you will get sorted

Jan 31, 2018 3:31 PM in response to Photoboi

Feb 14, 2018 7:39 AM in response to Talyafaith

So I FIXED this problem by turning off the by changing Do not Disturb setting.

It was set to automatically when connected to car bluetooth system, I changed it to manually and I never faced the problem again. Though it's just 3 days of testing but it's working fine and earlier it has given me issue every now and then.

using Iphone X on latest ios 11.3 Beta.

Apple Maps not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.