Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store Crashes - Max OS X 10.12.4

Hi There,

For a little while now my App Store on my iMac (Mid 2011) has been crashing every time I try to start it or when I choose 'Install Now/Restart' when a notification pops up. When I click the Apple icon to try updating, App Store does not start at all. I have 2 updates that are sitting there waiting, but I can't update because App Store just crashes. I have done restarts etc., but I can't open App Store and therefore can't update anything.

When I click on the 'Send Report' link, the Specific Information says:

Application Specific Information:

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[CKUpdateController observeOSUpdateScansWithProgressHandler:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x618000270380'

terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

abort() called

Is anyone able to help so that I can update my computer?

Thank you

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Oct 14, 2017 11:21 PM

9 replies

Oct 17, 2017 6:58 PM in response to tele74

You can try booting macOS Recovery and reinstalling macOS, but I doubt it will work. If the Mac is having hardware problems and cannot even boot Safe Mode, installing macOS may appear to take forever and may not finish. The good news is that you have a backup of your important information.

Contact Support have Apple evaluate that Mac. A 2011 model may still be eligible for service, but that may not be an option for very much longer.

Oct 15, 2017 7:27 AM in response to tele74

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.appstore.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Oct 17, 2017 6:04 PM in response to tele74

Thanks John,

Unfortunately, when I tried this, my computer would not start, in fact, it started up with the white screen, got to the apple logo and the loading, then, instead of opening the OS, it shut down. I have now tried to start it five times and everytime I get the same problem. Starts with the sound, gets to the Apple logo and load screen, then shuts down. So now I am in a very bad position. Incredibly frustrating, it was working this morning with no problems other than the App Store crash, now I can't even get into it.

App Store Crashes - Max OS X 10.12.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.