Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra login screen background stuck to one image

After changing my desktop background I can see the same blurred image in the login screen without rebooting (logging out) but after reboot, the login screen is set to other image previously set and there is no way to change it.

(tried with Onyx already)

Any solution?

Thanx!

Posted on Oct 15, 2017 2:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2017 6:28 PM

Problem solved.

If you want to change your login screen to something different than the default High Sierra image, here's what you do.

1. Log in as the Root User (if you don't know howto do that, then you shouldn't be attempting this at all).
  2. Open Finder.
  3. Go to, /Library/Desktop Picture/High Sierra.jpg.
  4. Change the name of ~High Sierra.jpg to anything else (to save it) or just delete it: in my case I changed it to ~High Sierra X.jpg.
  5. Move or paste the desired .jpg file into the same folder.
  6. Rename it, ~High Sierra.jpg.
  7. Log out

When you log back in the login screen will be a blurred image of whatever you selected in place of the default image.

Enjoy,

Movlas

Lisa II >User uploaded file Mac Pro 5,1

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2017 6:28 PM in response to Ximo

Problem solved.

If you want to change your login screen to something different than the default High Sierra image, here's what you do.

1. Log in as the Root User (if you don't know howto do that, then you shouldn't be attempting this at all).
  2. Open Finder.
  3. Go to, /Library/Desktop Picture/High Sierra.jpg.
  4. Change the name of ~High Sierra.jpg to anything else (to save it) or just delete it: in my case I changed it to ~High Sierra X.jpg.
  5. Move or paste the desired .jpg file into the same folder.
  6. Rename it, ~High Sierra.jpg.
  7. Log out

When you log back in the login screen will be a blurred image of whatever you selected in place of the default image.

Enjoy,

Movlas

Lisa II >User uploaded file Mac Pro 5,1

Dec 2, 2017 11:18 AM in response to Ximo

Here's a much simpler way to do it. (No need to log in as root.

1. In Finder, Navigate to the photo you'd like to see blurred in the background at start up.

2. Click on the photo's title. (No need to open the file.)

3. Go up to the top of the Finder screen and click on the Gear to drop down the menu.

4. Choose the last menu item: "Set Desktop Picture."

5. You're done.

NOTES:

• If you had your desktop set up to change the background photo every hour, you'll need to go back and re-set that.

High Sierra login screen background stuck to one image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.