Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password help for NYC DOE teacher

I am trying to connect to WiFi on my mac. This is a laptop given to me by my school. It is a Sunday and I need to do work on it and no one is available from work to help me connect. When I click on the WiFi icon to view the list of available networks, then try to connect it asks me for the admin password. The admin username is NYCDOE but we use the username teacher. I don’t know why I need this just to connect to WiFi, but I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 15, 2017 4:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2017 10:55 AM

Do you have an Ethernet port on that Mac, and a cable to connect directly to your Router?

If you are asking for help in how to break into this Mac: if it were trivially easy, your students would already be doing it six times a day. If it were a little complicated, that would slow them down to only twice a day. The standard methods are likely already blocked when setting up these Macs.

You need to contact someone in your system who knows the Admin password.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2017 10:55 AM in response to mdekenipp

Do you have an Ethernet port on that Mac, and a cable to connect directly to your Router?

If you are asking for help in how to break into this Mac: if it were trivially easy, your students would already be doing it six times a day. If it were a little complicated, that would slow them down to only twice a day. The standard methods are likely already blocked when setting up these Macs.

You need to contact someone in your system who knows the Admin password.

Oct 15, 2017 7:17 AM in response to mdekenipp

The password is required because someone set "require Admin authorization to make changes" for network changes or similar setting in Networks. So you are not being hacked, if that is your concern.

So you enter what you were told is the Admin Username, NYCDOE in the top box, and the password that goes with it (whatever they told you is the password that goes with that Admin-name ). And Caps lock should not be on (an Icon will appear in the password box if Caps Lock is on). The password is case sensitive.

Password help for NYC DOE teacher

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.