Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NFS server Linux and OS X client

Guys, I have an issue with NFS sharing on Debian and OSX High Sierra as client. This is the scenario:

Server NFS – Debian 9

The mount point /hds/dados is a HD with EXT4 file system. I’m using NFS v4 by default.

EXPORTS

/hds/dados 192.168.1.0/24(rw,async,all_squash,crossmnt,no_subtree_check,anonuid=501,anongi d=20)

Client OS X High Sierra (10.13)

mount_nfs -o resvport,rw 192.168.1.5:/hds/dados /Volumes/dados/

When I try to copy any files to mount point (/Volumes/dados) via Finder or Terminal, the command or task keep trying, but nothing happens. Sometimes an error “connect to the server interrupt” occurs, and I have to umount/dismount the point. But a file was created on server, like if I use ‘touch filename’, with permission 644 and my uid and gid (501,20). I can create a new folder without problem, but can’t do anything with this folder, unless deleting, like other files that already was in mount point.

I see things like “umask” and uid and gid, but nothing changes. I don’t know what else to do. Please, help me.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Oct 15, 2017 7:08 AM

6 replies

Oct 15, 2017 2:03 PM in response to jlemes

Since the server is Linux, you can always use scp. That should give you comparable transfer rates.

You should also review your SMB connections. It is possible that you are falling back to an old SMB protocol which will greatly reduce your speed. Run "smbutil statshares -a" in the terminal.

I don't know how familiar you are with macOS, but what you are describing is not unusual. You can, and should, file a bug report with Apple (http://bugreport.apple.com). If it gets fixed, you might see it sometime next year. Unfortunately, with NFS, and a Mac, you are an outlier, so that is a big "if".

Oct 15, 2017 1:58 PM in response to etresoft

etresoft,

Actually, the nfs mount only fails when I try on Finder, in Terminal I can create, edit and delete files, but once I try on Finder, the nfs mount stuck.

I assume that the command is for terminal on OS X. The output is empty, because I don't have any shares on my Macbook.

Well, I will report this, but first I need learn how to see the log of nfs. Anyway, if you tell me that SMB has a similar performance, I will to probe and learn about. I'll appreciate if you show me where I can start to investigate the advanced configuration of SMB/SAMBA.

Thanks etresoft, I really appreciate your help and comments.

Oct 15, 2017 6:36 PM in response to jlemes

jlemes wrote:

Actually, the nfs mount only fails when I try on Finder, in Terminal I can create, edit and delete files, but once I try on Finder, the nfs mount stuck.

That's not what you said originally. If something fails only in the Finder, that is an entirely different problem.

I assume that the command is for terminal on OS X. The output is empty, because I don't have any shares on my Macbook.

It is for SMB shares. If you only have NFS shares, then it won't show anything. Once you mount an SMB share, with any luck, it will say something like this:

/Users/jdaniel $ smbutil statshares -a

================================================================================ ==================

SHARE ATTRIBUTE TYPE VALUE

================================================================================ ==================

jdaniel

SERVER_NAME gaia

USER_ID 502

SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB1_ENABLED

SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB2_ENABLED

SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB3_ENABLED

SMB_VERSION SMB_3.02

SMB_SHARE_TYPE DISK

SIGNING_SUPPORTED TRUE

EXTENDED_SECURITY_SUPPORTED TRUE

LARGE_FILE_SUPPORTED TRUE

CLIENT_REQUIRES_SIGNING TRUE

FILE_IDS_SUPPORTED TRUE

DFS_SUPPORTED TRUE

MULTI_CREDIT_SUPPORTED TRUE

ENCRYPTION_SUPPORTED TRUE

SIGNING_ON TRUE

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------

This is from a vanilla Ubuntu 16.04 server. I'm actually surprised to see it setup this nicely. Maybe I did that on purpose and just forgot about it because I rarely mount the server. That is quite likely. But the above is as good as it gets.

Well, I will report this, but first I need learn how to see the log of nfs.

Do "tail -f /var/log/syslog"

Anyway, if you tell me that SMB has a similar performance, I will to probe and learn about. I'll appreciate if you show me where I can start to investigate the advanced configuration of SMB/SAMBA.

I can't really tell you one way or another. I don't really use NFS or SMB. I have worked at places that had decent Active Directory and there certainly wasn't anything slow about SMB. But I can't give you anything more definitive. You mentioned that you had tried SMB and had 40% less throughput. Check that again with smbutil statshares and make sure you are using SMB 3.02 with encryption and signing.

Aside from that, there are literally hundreds of variables at play. What kind of server do you have? What kind of network do you have? Most importantly, why do you want these shares? What are you doing with them? I just turned on NFS on my Linux server to test and I can't see any difference in macOS user experience between NFS and SMB. The Finder seemed to work OK. In my case NFS was horribly slow. I tried to copy a small (13.5 MB) app and gave up after about 3-4 minutes on NFS. It only took a few seconds on SMB. My network isn't very fast though. This was one of the few times I've ever tried NFS. As I've said before, SBM, if properly configured, is very fast.

But there is also a question of what you are trying to do in the Finder. While you can copy files to and from a server in the Finder, I wouldn't suggest ever opening a file on a file server. Certainly never attempt to save. Copy files locally, edit them, then copy them back to the server.

NFS server Linux and OS X client

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.