Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does an iPhone 4 Verizon work when abroad?

I know that the difference between iPhone 4 CDMA and GSM is that a CDMA one doesn't have a SIM Slot, but the GSM one does, so you can activate it on any carrier. But I am curious, because my great-uncle (age 90) is moving to Russia and I want to contact with him, and he doesn't want any of my phones. He just wants an old iPhone 4, and as of right now, he is using a Nokia 1100. Plus, when he moves to Nizhny Novogorod, he wants to just get in touch with me and my family, and he wants it off eBay. I then found a discount of an iPhone 4, it is an A1349 one, or the CDMA Verizon one for $21, so will it work when he is in Russia, or roaming fees are enormous? Plus, I gave him a 30 pin adaptor and the wall adaptor (EU).

<Link Edited by Host>

iPhone 2G-OTHER, iOS 1.x, My Very First iPhone(June 21, 2007)

Posted on Oct 15, 2017 3:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2017 3:49 PM

I detest phones with no SIM card. They should be recalled and carriers forced to follow the rest of the world.

I only use GSM models with a SIM card and all of my phones are unlocked too so I can use them anywhere.

Outside of the US and Canada everyone uses GSM phones.

15 replies

Oct 15, 2017 4:07 PM in response to iOSAndroidRebel

iOSAndroidRebel wrote:

Ok, so if it only works with Verizon, is roaming possible? I meant these people that bought the iPhone on Verizon bought it way too early.

Roaming is only possible on other CDMA networks with whom Verizon has a roaming agreement. You would need to contact Verizon to find out what, if any such agreements they still have.

Oct 15, 2017 4:25 PM in response to Vegan Advocate

Vegan Advocate wrote:

Get a GSM model, they work all over the world. CDMA are carrier locked which I detest in the extreme.

I own several unlocked iPhones and when I am away I can swap SIM cards instantly and have a local number.

Roaming costs can cost 5x more than a local pay as you go SIM

No, CDMA phones are not "carrier locked" in the way that you understand. It's a meaningless term for a CDMA phones. The way CDMA phones are connected to a network is through the electronic serial number (ESN). It's loaded into a Device Management Database. In theory, any CDMA carrier can load any CDMA ESN into their database. In practice, they rarely did.

It made perfect sense, six years ago, to buy a CDMA iPhone 4 if your carrier was Verizon or Sprint. Buying a GSM iPhone 4 would have meant changing to AT&T, which wasn't always desirable.

The iPhone 4 is irrelevant at this late date. There's no reason to buy it at all, really.

Oct 15, 2017 7:35 PM in response to KiltedTim

KiltedTim wrote:

iOSAndroidRebel wrote:

But what about the people still using it, like my late niece Anna, because she still uses an iPhone 3G in 2016. She was 10 at the time.

So your "late niece" still uses an iPhone, eh... I suppose it's time to break out the zombie apocalypse survival gear, then...

It's Apple's newest market....

To be fair to our little friend, there's definitely a tense problem in that first sentence.

Does an iPhone 4 Verizon work when abroad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.