Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound on 27 inch iMac Mid 2011 running Windows 8.1 on Botcamp

Hello! I just installed 8.1 on my Mac and everything went very well. Then only issue I found is the sound and the brightness. I try to turn down the brightness but nothing happens. The bar shows that it's going down but it isn't. The sound is also broken. When I try to turn up the sound, there is a circle with a cross with the volume icon. I tried many things to fix the sound issue. I tried downloading new drivers, updating drivers, etc. The brightness issue, I don't really care but it would be useful if we can fix it too. I talked to Microsoft about the sound problem and they said the only way to fix it is to get Windows 10. Unfortunately, my mid 2011 Mac does not support Windows 10 on boot camp. I'm in desperate need of the sound in windows so I need your help! Thanks!

Posted on Oct 15, 2017 8:28 PM

152 replies

Nov 16, 2017 1:02 PM in response to Loner T

I ran the first aid. Then I tried to create a FAT. But this time, I got a different error: User uploaded file

"Media reports not enough space on device for requested" If it's talking about how much storage I have, then it's wrong. I made the partition 210 GB when I still have 450 GB left. So roughly half goes to the Windows side and half goes to the macOS side.

Oct 16, 2017 5:46 PM in response to amytom12

Does your built-in Optical drive function properly?

amytom12 wrote:

And oh, I forgot to mention. When I was installing Windows 8.1, I got a MBR table error and something about EFI's and GPT. I looked on YouTube and this guy said to go to terminal on my mac side and put some codes in. I don't know if this effects the sound.

Yes, it does. If you do not use the internal Optical drive and a DVD (or CD) to install Windows on your specific model and instead use a USB (or manually choose) EFI boot, the Audio devices are not exposed correctly. This is indicated by the current BIOS Mode being UEFI. On your specific 2011 model, it should be Legacy (or BIOS).

The only method to switch to BIOS mode, is to remove the current installation using Remove Windows from your Mac - Apple Support and then use a DVD in the Optical drive to install W8.1. The 'code' you were asked to input in Terminal removed the MBR, forcing a UEFI installation, and causing the Audio to malfunction.

Nov 15, 2017 3:33 PM in response to amytom12

You need to wait for partitioning to be complete.

Then you need to enter the commands in GDisk as shown in Re: No sound on 27 inch iMac Mid 2011 running Windows 8.1 on Botcamp as shown on page 7 of this discussion.

Once these two steps are complete, then you need to post the output of each of the following commands.

sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0

sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

Nov 15, 2017 1:45 PM in response to amytom12

Install GPT Fdisk (aka gdisk) from GPT fdisk download | SourceForge.net. If you are on High Sierra, you will also need to disable SIP by booting in Local Recovery (Command+R) and running

csrutil status

csrutil disable

csrutil status

If it shows 'disabled', boot normally and rebuild MBR to match the new GPT information thus resetting the Hybrid MBR. Use defaults for other questions (like partition codes). The only values that need modifications are the Boot flags and step 10. Accept all other defaults that Gdisk offers. Please see thesample Q&A as an example. These steps can be repeated if you make a mistake before you get to Step 12, otherwise start from Step 1 for these steps. Step 6 has numbers which are typed with a space between the numbers. Please see the sample Q&A before you execute these steps.

1. Sudo gdisk /dev/rdisk0
  2. P (Print list of parts)
  3. R (Recover)
  4. O (print current Hybrid MBR)
  5. H (chooses Hybrid)
  6. Partitions numbers to be hybridized: 2 3 4
  7. Y (Good for GRUB question)
  8. N (part 2 boot flag)
  9. N (part 3 boot flag)
  10. Y (part 4 boot flag make NTFS bootable partition)
  11. O (print current Hybrid MBR)
  12. W (Write the new MBR)
  13. Y (Yes! write the new MBR)
  14. Reboot

Here is sample Q&A for this section. Please notice the Press Enter/Return.

Place EFI GPT (0xEE) partition first in MBR (good for GRUB)? (Y/N): Y

Creating entry for GPT partition #2 (MBR partition #2)

Enter an MBR hex code (default AF): Press Enter/Return

Set the bootable flag? (Y/N): N

Creating entry for GPT partition #3 (MBR partition #3)

Enter an MBR hex code (default AB): Press Enter/Return

Set the bootable flag? (Y/N): N

Creating entry for GPT partition #4 (MBR partition #4)

Enter an MBR hex code (default 07): Press Enter/Return

Set the bootable flag? (Y/N): Y

Nov 15, 2017 3:39 PM in response to Loner T

Ah, okay... So do I just do all of these steps in terminal after the partition is complete?

1. Sudo gdisk /dev/rdisk0
  2. P (Print list of parts)
  3. R (Recover)
  4. O (print current Hybrid MBR)
  5. H (chooses Hybrid)
  6. Partitions numbers to be hybridized: 2 3 4
  7. Y (Good for GRUB question)
  8. N (part 2 boot flag)
  9. N (part 3 boot flag)
  10. Y (part 4 boot flag make NTFS bootable partition)
  11. O (print current Hybrid MBR)
  12. W (Write the new MBR)
  13. Y (Yes! write the new MBR)
  14. Reboot

After this is done, I just do "

sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0

sudo fdisk /dev/disk0"? Is this correct? Sorry for asking so many questions, I just want to make sure I'm correct and don't want to mess something up.

Oct 16, 2017 1:35 AM in response to amytom12

You do not need W10 to get sound out of your 2011 iMac. W7/W8.1 work very well. Can you check the setting of BIOS Mode if you run msinfo32 from the Start -> Run command? If it is 'UEFI', your sound will not work. You need to ensure your Windows is installed using legacy BIOS mode, which is the BC Assistant default for your model.

What is the macOS version on your iMac? High Sierra has some issues in this area.

Oct 16, 2017 11:15 AM in response to amytom12

You do not need to boot into BIOS because Macs do not have a user interface for BIOS or UEFI. The installation method determines the type of installation. The msinfo32 command should provide the current type. It can be changed by re-installing Windows, provided some prerequisites (a MBR and the legacy BIOS boot is used) are setup correctly.

On a 2011 Mac, the default is BIOS, if you use the built-in Optical drive to install Windows.

No sound on 27 inch iMac Mid 2011 running Windows 8.1 on Botcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.