Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail rules for sent messages?

I just migrated from Outlook 2011 (no longer supported by Microsoft) to Mac Mail under Sierra 10.12.6. I was able to rebuild most of my Outlook rules within Mail rules. However, in Outlook, I could create rules to move sent messages to specific mail folders. In particular, I want to have a send message to a specific contact be moved from the IMAP server sent folder to a folder On My Mac. From what I've seen in Mail posts in Communities, this not possible. Does anyone have a suggestion how to do this other than manually move each sent message from the IMAP server's sent folder to the folder I want in Mail On My Mac? After having used Outlook 2011 for the past 6 years, it is a disappointment to not find a similar feature in Mail.

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), Late 2013

Posted on Oct 15, 2017 10:22 PM

8 replies

Oct 15, 2017 11:31 PM in response to Spediteur

I tried that here, using a rule :

to : contains : 'specific contact email'

move message : to mailbox : some 'On my Mac' mailbox I just created

and after a second or two (apply to current mailboxes... ), everything meeting that condition in my (gmail, admittedly), Sent folder was moved to the specified local mailbox.

Does that not work if the existing mailbox is an Outlook one ?.

Oct 16, 2017 7:27 AM in response to Spediteur

I'm not sure I understand your comments, but it got me to review my sent mail rules in Outlook 2011. To be clear I do not use Outlook.com email as one of my email accounts. In Outlook, I specified for all mail accounts that sent mail use a sent folder On My Mac, not on the sent folder on the mail server. In setting up Mac Mail, I left the default to use the server's sent folder for each email account. I have created a new sent mail rule to match the one from Outlook, which was for any recipient, named email address, move to sent folder On My Mac, and will see what happens. If this doesn't work, I will try setting the default sent folder to be On My Mac instead of on the server and try that. I'll come back after testing and post the results.

Oct 16, 2017 4:29 PM in response to Eric Root

I added a line to the rule moving incoming mail to folders On My Mac showing Any Recipient / Equal to / John Doe. Incoming messages move to the designated folder. I reply to that message and my response is filed in the Online Mail Account's Sent folder. I then followed your advice to click on Message/Apply Rules and it moved the message as desired. I need some more volume testing to see what works and what does not. I still have not changed the default mail account setup to use the sent folder on the server. I can live with having to manually apply the rule for moving sent messages and cannot see how it could be automated.

Oct 17, 2017 8:58 AM in response to Eric Root

I tried to create a rule similar to tygb's suggestion as I don't want to move all my messages, only those to specific contacts. I put that rule at the top of the stack. It did not work automatically. I first used the manual menu method to move the sent message to the inbox where it sat until I used the menu method again to move it to the folder On My Mac. Therefore, Eric is correct. I have never used Apple Script but wonder if my need could be satisfied via that method.

Oct 17, 2017 9:37 AM in response to Eric Root

Correct Eric rules are always created for incoming mails , and if a single mail is already received in mail application and that is in sent folder that can be transferred to any folder by creating a rule for that particular mail .

Generally rules are always created for incoming mails in everyday routine working on mail application , but in apple mail application dragging and dropping mails from one folder to another is also convenient .

Mail rules for sent messages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.