Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlocked iPhone with Sprint SIM

I want to buy new Iphone7, but confused by the complicated model name and carrier, lock or unlock. I want to have the Iphone7 to support all Cellular, so in the buying website, I select Sprint version since 'Models A1778 and A1784 do not support CDMA networks, such as those used by Verizon and Sprint'. but I don't want to limited to Sprint carrier, so I select 'pay in full' with 'Works with your carrier and rate plan' content.

So dose this iphone7 (Unlocked iPhone with Sprint SIM==sprint pay in full) support all cellular/carries? can use any other domestic or international carries other than sprint?

Thanks

iPhone 7

Posted on Oct 15, 2017 10:34 PM

11 replies

Oct 16, 2017 3:23 AM in response to Joe-Yang

It is the A1660

Model A1778*

Model A1784*

Models A1778 and A1784 do not support CDMA networks, such as those used by Verizon and Sprint

iPhone 7 - Technical Specifications - Apple

It is a little complicated because it depends both on the place where you buy the phone and the particular model.

For your purpose, the best option is to buy the sim free model directly from the Apple Store. You can get a sim card for whatever carrier you want to use.

"Unlocked" does not have a single meaning everyone agrees on. However, in the Apple world, the sim free model is well understood and is explained in the description Apple itself uses.

Oct 16, 2017 1:55 AM in response to Joe-Yang

You have to be careful about the terms.

If you want a phone that will work on all networks (CDMA and GSM) in the US and abroad buy the sim free model directly from the Apple Store. That way you can use it anywhere you wish without any unlocking by a carrier.

The Sprint model is technically capable of doing this but it will lock to Sprint on activation. You will then have to go through Sprint in accordance with its eligibility policies for an unlock. If you do not have a Sprint account that become a serious, though not necessarily impossible, challenge.

What would work better would be a Verizon model if purchased directly from Verizon or the Apple Store PROVIDED you activate it with a postpaid Verizon sim. Otherwise there will be serious complications.

Do not buy a phone from places such as Best Buy, they are not ideal for your purpose.

The absolute best solution for your situation is the sim free model from the Apple Store. That phone has a multimode unlock activation policy which is the one that best suits your needs.

Oct 16, 2017 2:00 AM in response to madra31

I got mine directly from Apple (6S Plus) and it's the CDMA and GSM model and I live in Canada, completely unlocked (locked phones are banned in Canada come December 1st). But I agree, don't but a phone from Best Buy. They usually have phones with the lowest possible memory. I have the 128GB model of the 6S Plus. You could not get this at any other store other than Apple. Everytime I look at a Best Buy flyer it's all 32GB.

But that method also requires that you have the scratch to do it with.

Oct 16, 2017 2:19 AM in response to Driver8666

The main problem for US buyers from Best Buy (apart from the capacity issue you mentioned) is that they are subject to the US Resellers Flex Policy which will cause them to lock to the first carrier.

For instance, a Verizon-branded model (Verizon LTE devices are unlocked) if purchased at Best Buy and then activated on a Sprint MVNO will lock to Sprint. I am aware of at least one case where that happened and the buyer was then unable to move that Verizon phone to Verizon.

The Sprint MVNO in question did not have an unlock policy and the buyer had no Sprint account. It was quite a mess.

Oct 16, 2017 2:51 AM in response to madra31

Appreciate your suggestions. It dose be best of sim free model, do you know it's A1660 or A1778 for iphone7 sim free unlocked? I worried about the phone can't support all the networks like A1778. I choose full pay sprint or verizon because it's Unlocked iPhone said in the apple online store.Then, what's real mean unlocked in 'Unlocked iPhone with Sprint SIM'? Verizon model need activated it with Verizon sim at the first time or can be activated by any carrier's sim?

Thanks

Oct 16, 2017 3:21 AM in response to Joe-Yang

If it's completely unlocked, it has all the bands necessary (look in Tech Specs) to work with any provider in the world, with the exception of Band 66. But my suggestion is not to get from a carrier, and instead get it directly from Apple. This is the only way to bypass SIM-locking, and to really use it anywhere. And not from Best Buy either. Use the bands listed as a guideline with whatever provider you will use.

For example, if you get an unlocked iPhone 7, from Apple (and not a carrier), and you put a Sprint SIM in, then decide say 6 months down the road, you hate Sprint and want to pop in a Verizon card, you can. But this also requires that for international travel, that the iPhone 7 is both CDMA and GSM (CDMA is used in the States, everywhere else uses GSM, as far as I know). SIM Locking is when the first SIM inserted will lock to that carrier and then you have to take it to Apple to have it unlocked. I asked Apple when I got my phone if they could SIM lock it to a carrier, and they said yes, but they don't want to do it. So my iPhone 6S Plus is not locked to a carrier.

Also, I wold heavily suggest if you have the scratch for it, get something bigger than 32GB. 32GB is at least the bare minimum anyone needs, but then if you load it up, it will cause capacity issues unless you have more storage space on iCloud and can archive the pics. When I bought my iPhone 6S Plus here in Toronto, I saw people with iPhone 4's. 4's. That's longevity.

Oct 17, 2017 12:49 AM in response to Joe-Yang

When I bought my iPhone in Toronto, Ontario, I knew the store sold unlocked (SIM-free) iPhones. It was only later when I researched my model number (A1687) that it was both a CDMA and GSM phone. This might be listed on the box (I believe it was), but I'm not at home right now, I'm at work eating a salad and typing this up. The salad is good however. Lol. But back to official business. You will need to say that you want a CDMA and GSM model phone when you purchase from them. I didn't but then again Canada uses GSM. The only band that the iPhone 7 series (and all iPhones before that) doesn't support is Band 66.

In Canada, if it's not the iPhone 8, you'll more than likely get a CDMA and GSM compatible phone. If it's the iPhone 8, you'll get a GSM phone. It might be different elsewhere, but if you get it from Apple directly, explicitly state you want a CDMA-GSM phone.

Funny thing, is that even after the iPhone 8 and iPhone X are on sale, we still make the SE, 6S and 7 series available. But I have not been in an Apple Store to confirm at least the last 2, but this is from Apple Canada's website.

Unlocked iPhone with Sprint SIM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.