Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hardware error installing High Sierra but Sierra installs fine

I've tried a million times installing High Sierra but it always fails with:

"an error as occurred installing macOS. To use Apple Diagnostics to check your Mac hardware, shutdown, press the power button, and immediately hold 'D' key until diagnostics begins. Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again."

Have run apple diagnostics from internet and other and it doesn't detect any kind of problem

Sierra on the other way installs fine.

I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro 17'' maxed with 16GB ram and two Samsung 850 Pro SSD.

Already tried to downgrade memory a to keep only one SSD and still can't install High Sierra.

Tried to do and upgrade from Sierra and also a clean install to no avail.

Did a manual firmware upgrade to the one built in High Sierra installer and it didn't make a diference.

The only thing haven't tried is to swap the SSD for a HDD because I currently don't have one.

Have you guys any other idea that I can try?

MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011), macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Oct 16, 2017 1:13 AM

13 replies

Oct 17, 2017 11:07 AM in response to pamsm

I dont know if the Samsung 850 Pro is a notoriously problematic SSD,

Now you do.

But I've been using 16GB from day one without any problem.

Now you do.

I think Apple has done a poor job with the High Sierra installer, and that this problem is due to it...

OK. You implemented not one but two unsupported hardware modifications, neither one of which Apple has any interest in testing. As I wrote,

John Galt wrote:

... Those failures almost never become apparent until macOS upgrades, updates, or the firmware updates that accompany them are installed.

I understand lots of people modify their Macs. If you choose to do that, you much accept the consequences of those decisions.

If you were to take your Mac to an Apple Retail Store and tell them to fix it, they would perform the following:

• Remove the unsupported SSD and replace it with a hard disk drive.
  • Remove the offending memory, and just might forget to return it to you.
  • Present you with a bill in the amount of $300-$500 US.

Proceed on the basis of that knowledge, which you now have.

Oct 16, 2017 6:25 PM in response to pamsm

The failure could be due to one of two unsupported hardware modifications. Those failures almost never become apparent until macOS upgrades, updates, or the firmware updates that accompany them are installed.

Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Replace that notoriously problematic SSD with one from a manufacturer known to support Macs.

The maximum supported RAM configuration for that model MBP is 8 GB. Unsupported memory configurations will result in unexpected operation. To learn how to upgrade memory refer to the Memory Upgrade Instructions in About This Mac.

Oct 16, 2017 11:48 PM in response to John Galt

Hi, thanks for your reply...

I dont know if the Samsung 850 Pro is a notoriously problematic SSD, what I Know is that it as been working steady, reliably and speedy since 2014 and Yosemite and every other macOS version since then in this same machine... and a Samsung 840 Pro before that.

As I've referred Sierra installs fine, no problem whatsoever (have had to do it 4 times this past month, because High Sierra broke every upgrade attempt)

Never had a single hardware problem with this Macbook Pro late 2011, and have been able to setup every single OS X or macOS without any problem until now.

About the maximum supported RAM, your are right, it is 8 GB. But I've been using 16GB from day one without any problem.

I've run Apple Hardware Diagnostics enumerous times without falling once, and I've taken the macbook to an authorised repair center and they've run all the oficial diagnostics and found no problem.

I think Apple has done a poor job with the High Sierra installer, and that this problem is due to it...

Oct 17, 2017 5:09 PM in response to John Galt

I've been having a fairly similar experience with a late-2009 27" iMac i7. I have 12GB RAM - which is apparently within bounds - all the correct spec DDR3-1067, and a replacement internal drive (WD 2TB Black with the OWC temperature sensor kit).

Would the drive likely be considered unsupported?

I did run AHT which showed a fan motor problem, though the machine runs fine. Would the installer check that? Seems an unlikely thing check in the installer.

It always fails about 10 minutes in, and 37 minutes remaining.

I've tried several upgrade installs, and a clean install. Same result each time.

Oct 17, 2017 11:21 PM in response to John Galt

You might be right, but then again you might not...

John Galt wrote:

... Those failures almost never become apparent until macOS upgrades, updates, or the firmware updates that accompany them are installed.

I think you've missed the point where I state that I've removed the memory. Also missed the point where I say that 10.12 Sierra end every previous macOS versions, still, installs fine. Then again you've missed the point that I've ran Apple Hardware Diagnostics without encountering a single problem...

But you've most importantly missed this point:

I've taken the macbook to an authorised repair center and they've run all the oficial diagnostics and found no problem.

Oh! By the way, I've found an half baked solution: I've cloned High Sierra from another Mac (from a Mac Mini) and it runs beautifully in the same MacBook Pro that the installer refuses to install.

Oct 18, 2017 5:28 PM in response to pamsm

Then why doesn't your Mac work? All mine updated and work just fine, and they include 2011 MacBook Pro models with 8 GB RAM and OWC SSDs. Must be some kind of wildly improbable luck on my part.

Also missed the point where I say that 10.12 Sierra end every previous macOS versions, still, installs fine

I miss nothing. macOS 10.13 ≠ macOS 10.12.

John Galt wrote:

Oct 19, 2017 4:32 PM in response to John Galt

I don't have a successful install yet, but I think I got to the bottom of the problem. Given pamsm's success cloning from a different install, I tried installing from a different Mac onto an external drive... I couldn't get the drive to mount on two different rMBPs! Not sure why... but back to my iMac. There I tried a clean install to the external which failed as usual. But then I had a borked install sitting on the external, so I rebooted from the internal (Sierra) drive to take a look.

Looking at the install log there (/Volumes/<external drive>/private/var/log/install.log) showed this:

Oct 19 22:39:27 iMac OSInstaller[562]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=110 "An error occurred while extracting files from the package “Core.pkg”." UserInfo={PKInstallPackageSHA256Digest=ae1d542afda0e3545a620997f8e461c62f38b161 6774289bb61bcb675bf5a7eb, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while extracting files from the package “Core.pkg”., NSFilePath=/Volumes/HS/.OSInstallSandboxPath/Root, NSURL=Core.pkg -- file:///Volumes/InstallESD/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=com.apple.pkg.Core, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fafdaec6d20 {Error Domain=PKXARArchiveErrorDomain Code=101 "archive verify failed" UserInfo={NSURL=file:///Volumes/InstallESD/Packages/Core.pkg#Payload, NSFileOwnerAccountID=0, NSFileHFSTypeCode=0, NSFileSystemFileNumber=428, NSFileExtensionHidden=false, NSFileSystemNumber=16777247, NSFileSize=4408421804, NSFileGroupOwnerAccountID=0, NSFileOwnerAccountName=root, NSFilePosixPermissions=420, NSFileHFSCreatorCode=0, NSFileCreationDate=2017-09-21 11:19:36 +0000, NSFileType=NSFileTypeRegular, NSFileGroupOwnerAccountName=wheel, NSFileReferenceCount=1, NSFileModificationDate=2017-09-21 11:36:46 +0000, NSLocalizedDescription=archive verify failed}}} {

NSFilePath = "/Volumes/HS/.OSInstallSandboxPath/Root";

NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while extracting files from the package \U201cCore.pkg\U201d.";

NSURL = "Core.pkg -- file:///Volumes/InstallESD/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg";

NSUnderlyingError = "Error Domain=PKXARArchiveErrorDomain Code=101 \"archive verify failed\" UserInfo={NSURL=file:///Volumes/InstallESD/Packages/Core.pkg#Payload, NSFileOwnerAccountID=0, NSFileHFSTypeCode=0, NSFileSystemFileNumber=428, NSFileExtensionHidden=false, NSFileSystemNumber=16777247, NSFileSize=4408421804, NSFileGroupOwnerAccountID=0, NSFileOwnerAccountName=root, NSFilePosixPermissions=420, NSFileHFSCreatorCode=0, NSFileCreationDate=2017-09-21 11:19:36 +0000, NSFileType=NSFileTypeRegular, NSFileGroupOwnerAccountName=wheel, NSFileReferenceCouOct 19 22:39:27 iMac OSInstaller[562]: OSIInstallElement <OSIInstallElement: 0x7fafd9f40560> errored out:Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=110 "An error occurred installing macOS. To use Apple Diagnostics to check your Mac hardware, shut down, press the power button, and immediately hold the ‘D’ key until diagnostics begins." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred installing macOS. To use Apple Diagnostics to check your Mac hardware, shut down, press the power button, and immediately hold the ‘D’ key until diagnostics begins.}

/Volumes/InstallESD wasn't mounted anymore of course, but I found an InstallESD.dmg which I tried to open, yielding a checksum error. I checked my USB stick and found the same dmg file had a checksum error. Restored the original installer download from my Time Machine backup and sure enough the dmg had a checksum error there too!

Not sure if we can correlate this, but I downloaded in the evening Sep 26 (EST); the version indicated in the Finder is 13.0.64.

Maybe I got slipped a corrupted installer?

Did you download the installer again for the Mac Mini? Or was it the same download as the MBP?

I'm going to download again this evening and try again this weekend.

Oct 23, 2017 8:19 AM in response to Hubert

Hubert wrote:

A clean install with the newly downloaded installer worked. I didn't try the upgrade install; presumably that would have worked too.

Nice catch Hubert!!!

That did it... It was an Installer problem! Can't figure why would the installer say it was an Hardware error when it was a Software problem all along... It toke 4 downloads to get a correct Installer. Can't figure why they were always giving error.

Thank you all...

Hardware error installing High Sierra but Sierra installs fine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.